saltwater stuff in freshwater tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
sounds about right to me...... lace rock will also bleed ph... soaking *might* also be enough to clean the rocks, soak them for a few days and maybe even scrub them lightly with some sort of brush. boiling i'm sure would be alot better.

as a general rule, i don't think i would recommend doing this unless you have a specific use or idea and you are willing to watch the tank closely or test things previous to attempting it. you can try the vinegar test, if vinegar poured on it bubbles it will probably degrade somehow. or soak the rocks for a week or so and test the ph of the water before and after.

some scenarios, bleeding ph isn't a bad thing. alot of cichlids like the higher ph and harder waters.

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
As long as they are solid rocks and not coral or shells out of a salt water tank and you clean them by boiling and soaking them. Though I tend to agree with ewok and wouldn't do it if if I didn't have to. Are you going to put reg. salt in there? Salt should be added to most freshwater tanks {depending on fish, etc.}. Helps with health, stops deseases, etc. I use non-iodized mortens table salt. Some use reg tank salt from a pet store.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store