Sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
I have a sand substrate in my one 2” gal tank. I have an aqua sky 380m light at the moment. If I swap the light out for a fluval plant light, would I be able to use live plants in the tank in the sand? Swords and such or should it have to be one’s that I attach to rocks?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
2 inches is awfully small for an aquarium.

assuming you mean 2 feet, I wouldn't use a regular sword in there at all, maybe one of the smaller varieties, or a chain sword.

I'd maybe go to crypts or such, because of size and light requirements.

but I don't think you necessarily need to change the light right away, I would maybe put money into root tabs and liquid fertilizers (I'd suggest the Thrive line, seeing as it was developed by an AC member) and use them according to your setup.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
yeah, skip swords, see how the light does before changing it.

Reactions: dudley

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Of course, but they aren't going to make it a completely planted aquarium overnight... they will just grow incredibly slowly.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have a couple pool filter sand tanks with plants, ~1.5-2 inches deep. I grow crypts of several kinds (my favs) with root tab ferts. But also java ferns & anubias etc. that are not planted but attached to wood or rocks. Or as dougall said, some others like chain swords, some marislea (clovers) & a few stem plants.

You can have a nice tank with sand...maybe not an "Amano" worthy tank, but nice by my standards.

Ask us what you have in mind before you buy, we have opinions & experiences, lol.

Reactions: Nyk0nn

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
Will do! I’m still learning, I have 2 planted tanks going at the moment. My main 29 gal has:

Amazon sword x3
Assorted Anubis x4
Staurogyne Repens x1
Alternanthera Bettzickiana P1 x2

And then a modded 9 gal flex with:

2 - Cryptocoryne lutea
2 - Assorted Java Fern
2 - Assorted Anubis’s
2 - Amazon Sword

Both are doing good except my main, 2 of the swords are lacking growth and have been eaten by my gold barbs and gouramis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store