Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Save an ugly betta campaign

Discussion in 'Anabantoids' started by Ratlova30, Apr 23, 2010.

1. VickiesZoo

VickiesZoo AC Members

Vickie
    Sep 26, 2012
    Vickie
    I did this last fall. The cup was marked crowntail but you couldn't tell by looking at him. He was tiny! Way smaller than the others offered for sale. And very pale. But, when I looked at him close up under the plant lights, he looked me straight in the eye, moving his eyes back and forth. He looked so sad. That did it. LOL He is now a beautiful rainbow colored. I would have never guessed he'd get to be sooo pretty!

Kudos to all of you who take up the challenge!! I'm forcing myself not to buy anymore fish til I move in the next month or so. Now THAT is a challenge... for me. LOL

2. H2Ogal

H2Ogal Betta Be Good to Me

Deborah
    May 2, 2014
    Deborah
    You make a good point.

I suspect that my experience mirrors what a lot of people go through when they first get into bettas. I was returning to fishkeeping after many years, interested for the first time in bettas, don't know any connections to breeders in the area, haven't found a fishkeeping club, much less a betta club, anywhere nearby ... Not really knowing where else to start, I'd been checking out the cups at every store that had them. Then one day I found two beautiful girls who wouldn't stop wriggling and staring right back at me. I caved. I bought them — even though I'd learned more by then about the bigbox stores, etc.

Do I hate supporting the bigbox store which is renowned for lousy fishcare? Yes. Do I regret saving two really wonderful fish that almost certainly would have suffered excruciating deaths if I'd walked away? Not for a minute.

3. Hooked Newbie

Hooked Newbie Today will be yesterday tomorrow

Len
    Aug 26, 2016
    Len
    I totally get that and that's the tough part. To know that helping on an individual basis actually hurts in the longterm is a tough thing to balance.

4. Ratlova30

Ratlova30 AC Members

Chelsea
    May 30, 2012
    Chelsea
    I agree for the most part about not supporting the way fish stores treat their bettas, however the only place that I can get a betta that is not in a cup is from a private breeder. I know of a private breeder that is a few hours from me but personally I'm not willing to pay $25(cheapest they have) for a betta not to mention the price for shipping. It would be different story if I was breeding, if I was breeding them then absolutely I'd want a high quality betta and I'd be willing to pay the price for it but I just won't spend that kind of money for a pet. I prefer to spend my money on high quality food for them. So I get what your saying I agree with it to a point.

5. Ratlova30

Ratlova30 AC Members

Chelsea
    May 30, 2012
    Chelsea
    Hopefully I'll be getting my ugly betta tomorrow! Really excited. I'll post pics when I get him.

6. swimmer24

swimmer24 AC Members

Feb 7, 2011
    This is a really frustrating situation.. Obviously I would bring them all home if I could, but then the big stores would just buy more (under the same conditions).
    But all in all, I think if you purchase an ugly betta (which I've done-he was all white and had pink and blue spots on him, like a funfetti cake haha) then it leaves the more "attractive" fish to be adopted.. and they have a higher chance anyways, right?

I also make a point to tell the employees at the stores that their bettas are living in poor conditions. Even if they don't do anything.. at least someone in the store might be hearing me.

7. HorseandBettaCrazy

HorseandBettaCrazy Registered Member

Jul 2, 2017
    I have never thought of doing that, I always get the pretty ones. I don't think I will ever be able to stop getting the pretty ones so I am going to try to get one ugly one and one pretty one(our store doesn't have many ugly ones). I usually keep to bettas. If there are any ugly ones that is. Another thing we could do is get expensive ones that nobody wants to pay for.