Scopas and Blue Tang???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I have a 3" Scopas tang in my 75 gallon aquarium. I would like to add a Blue Hippo tang, as well. My understanding is that this is ok (not one of the tangs to avoid) as long as it is larger than the Scopas.

Does anyone have any advice for me here? What will happen if the blue tang is smaller? What will happen if he's bigger? Will it be a little bit of getting picked on or will it be a constant bickering between the two?

Thanks in advance.

Said at a local fish store:
Me: do you have any chromis?
LFS Guy: what's a chromis?

And he's getting paid to sell me fish.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
My advice, and its going to be brutal mate....Neither of them should be in a 75 gal tank....Personally, even now, at 3 inches, you should be concidering a larger tank...

Not what you want to hear, but, its an honest opinion...

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Reefscape, is that because of the different sizes or their temperament? Or something else? Your advice I have personally heard before, but have never understood why...

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
Reefscape, is that because of the different sizes or their temperament? Or something else? Your advice I have personally heard before, but have never understood why...

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
A blue tang needs a lot of space. Much more than the 48 inches a 75 gallon tank gives you. Some people say they need a 240 gallon tank. I disagree with that and think its excessive, but a six foot tank could be fine.

I did get a baby blue tang and put him in for a few months. He was around an inch long at the time. When he got to about medium size I traded him in. Got him for $19.99 and got store credit of $29.99 in the deal.

A scopas is fine in a 75. they're not the side to side swimmers that the blues are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store