Seeding new bio media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How long does it take to fully seed new bio media in an established tank

• One month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 weeks.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ThatguyTizzoni

Registered Member
Dec 12, 2018
Hi,

I have an established reef tank in a reef max 250 and would like upgrade my old bio filter media to marine pure. I know you cannot change all the media out at once and have to do it in stages.

So far I have changed 1/8 of the media and am just monitoring the water quality. I was going to wait a month before changing another section out but not sure if I should wait longer.

My current filter media are 1/2 ceramic rings and 1/2 bio balls

My questions are, what percentage of established media can be changed in one shot and how long should I wait till the next change?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd do half /week, so long as you test and don't see nitrite spikes, along with weekly water changes. The bacteria spread pretty quickly, and so long as you monitor, you can step up the pace.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Agree. If the tank has been setup and healthy for years, you'll have lots of beneficial bacteria all throughout the hard and soft surfaces in the tank. Provided your bio load isn't too huge, you could swap a big portion of the old bio media for new.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store