Sev aggression.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I have two hand sized red headed severums in a 75g. I think they are about two years old and both males. They are very close to the same size but the larger of the two has been chasing the other for a few months now. It isn't violent, but the smaller hides behind a chunk of driftwood most of the time. He sometimes has a small injury from bumping into stuff while fleeing.

What I can't decide, is if I need to separate them or not. As of now, I don't see an immediate danger, but will this progressively get more serious? Is this likely because they are both male?

Other tank mates are a female convict, a keyhole, and a small, maybe 3" pleco. No one else is bothered. In fact, the bigger sev is buddies with the keyhole.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Generally when there is disputes in the tank or bullying it's either time to separate them or if you want to make it work try changing up the decor making any territories to be broken up. I would keep an eye on them and make sure it doesn't get worse. If the smaller one is always in hiding then it wont be eating as much as the bigger one so there sizes will become more apparent since the dominant male will be getting more food and as a result bigger.

I would just keep a close eye out for now if things get any worse then it would be time to part with one or to put one in another tank.

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
Are you sure they are both male? How long have they been together?

I have two in my tank that I thought were both male and showed some aggression. After that they paired up.

I have like 7 severums in that tank. Seemed at first, if one was added and it was smaller, it would get picked on and hide. It was like that for a few weeks. 2inch red shoulders and 4-5 inch red spotted. Now they all swim in the middle and are fine. Just had to get used to each other I guess.

Only time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
They have been together their whole life, but I have only owned them for the past year. Pretty sure they are both males. They both eat well unless I put a zucchini in for my pleco. Then the big guy guards it for awhile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store