Severum Breeding Behavior?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
These two severums have cleared out a corner of my tank. They kind of guard it and act weird. If it is spawning behavior the clowns in my tank will eat the eggs guaranteed, if not the other fish. Id have to remove the eggs and tumble them. Any idea how big severums have to be to start spawning? these are not very old probably around 4 inches.

[video=youtube_share;eCmV3Vglg8k]http://youtu.be/eCmV3Vglg8k[/video]

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah they are doing the pre spawning behavior and they are actually big enough to breed so i would say she is cleaning the rock for egg deposit and you are right you may want to try to remove the young once they are hatched unless you plan on removing that rock because that peacock bass will more than likely eat the babies..

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
Oh it for sure will. Having trouble getting that bass off live. So if anything could fit in his mouth he will probably eat it.

So you think I can just pull the rock out with the eggs on it and put it in another tank? Or do I have to tumble the eggs?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
If you want to leave the eggs on the rock you could aim a small powerhead towards the eggs but if you can scrape the eggs off the rock and tumbled it would be better, i scraped Cory eggs off the glass which is easy LOL and i didnt have a tumbler so i put the eggs in a breeder net and aimed a powerhead at the net and i had a somewhat survival rate..

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
How do you go about scraping eggs off rocks without hurting them. It's not exactly a smooth rock.

I guess the word scrape just sounds brutal on those little eggs haha.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah i have never really scraped eggs off a rock like that before, but i would think that if the rock was taken out and placed in its own tank with no one else in it and either a bubbler or a small powerhead blowing on the eggs should do the job..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store