Severum breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Josephk

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
I have a pair of severums 1 turquoise and 1 green that are fighting. These 2 were in a 120 tank with some other cichlids and laid eggs 3 times. Never had any fry. Well I decided to setup a 40 gallon breeder to give them their own tank to hopefully get a successful spawn. Since then they have only been fighting. Some liplocking at first by the second or third day one is so beat up I have to put a divider in. This has happened twice, initial move, separated waited to heal, and now again. I was hoping the move may have caused the first fighting and some time with a divider would solve this. Does anyone have experience with severums fight Light this? Could they potentially spawn again?

20200527_193754.jpg

20200527_193749.jpg

20200527_193746.jpg

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your poor male looks like it was more than lip locking, he needs to heal. He's not quite ready to go is my guess (didn't we discuss this already or was that someone else?) Females are ready to breed at a smaller, younger age than males most times. The divider was a good idea. Ready females have no patience with "not quite" ready males. Lots of clean water & protein rich foods will help. Be patient...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Like any SA cichlids, some times a pair will work, sometimes not. You need a lot more than a 40gal breeder and the right mix of decor and distractions.

My 7yr old green severum and oscar have been together in a 75g by themselves since they were tiny babies. They tolerate each other, but the severum is by far the meaner and feistier fish. I don't have enough tank for them. My severum almost has the width of an oscar, but not the length.

Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store