Severum question..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I purchased 4 green severums that are now old enough to sex. It appears that I ended up with 1 male and 3 female. Will there be any aggression issues in a 125g with 1 male and 3 female? I'm debating on keeping all four or waiting until two pair up and selling the other two females. What about in a 180g?

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I'm no severum guru, but I think they should be fine in that size tank. You would only really have to worry if you had multiple males... The bigger the tank the better though...

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yep mine are fine in a 120gal 4 larger ones..

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Pittbull.. what is your male to female ratio?

One of them is iffy if it's a male or female. It's still only around 3" or so but it is the dominant severum. It even pushes around the male severum that is larger than it is. Of all the cichlids I've had I have never had a female dominate a larger male, it'll be interesting to see if it turns out to be a male or not.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Really not sure i have never sexed them but if i had to guess i have at least one pair

Aquanero

"In omnibus speciebus. Adunatum."
Feb 14, 2011
New Jersey
Real Name
Tom
They will be fine until a pair forms. The unpaired fish will become the targets of conspecific aggression. Having said that the level of aggression depends on the aggression of the individual fish, the set up of the tank (site breaks etc.) and where in the tank the pair decide to set up shop. If the fish decide to breed in the extreme left or right corner the unpaired may just be relegated to the opposite end of the tank. If the pair decide they like the middle of the tank there may be no place for the other fish to go. It could be a tough dynamic to predict ahead of time. The short answer is there will be aggression. HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store