sexing Bifasciatum (pics enclosed)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gregga

I'm Mighty Megala..(wife: whatever)
Jan 8, 2000
Long Island
What's everyone's best guess of the sex of these two fish. I was thinking they're both Bifasciatum. The first fish pictured was just given to me as a gift from a fellow hobbyist who ran out of room. The other fish I've had for a while.

Marcus, curious, I swear those were bifas pictures.......Anyway, here we try again:

Last edited:

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
bottom male, top female

no really i dont, know but i felt bad that noone answered you yet.

hey you asked for a guess.. so yo ugot a guess hahah :D

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
Um, Gregga, have you looked at the pictures you posted? The first pic is of two male Victorians and an OB peacock. The second of a male Victorian. I'm thinking the wrong pics were posted and that everyone is confused by your question... ;)

gregga

Jan 8, 2000
Long Island
oooops...could have sworn I posted the correct pics.........:confused:

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
They do look like bifas and if I had to guess I'd say female on top and male on bottom, but... Vieja sp are difficult to sex. I've had females that I would have sworn were males and vice versa. The most gorgeous synspila that I have even seen was female. It had absolutely stunning colors and long flowing fins yet once a month it would lay eggs. When I first looked at the fish I was inclined to argue with the owner that there was no way his fish was female! Bad on me for thinking I knew more than the owner!! :eek:

gregga

Jan 8, 2000
Long Island
Marcus...I agree Bifas are difficult to sex, but which features on the fish made you lean toward those genders. (I was leaning the other way). Just curious. Guess I'm gonna try to vent them soon....Regards, Gregg

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
I was looking at several things. Fins, coloration and mostly body shape. The fish in the lower photo has a more 'streamlined' look. I don't know if this makes any sense... :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store