Sexing goldfish (with photos)!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
Very interesting, I used to buy feeders all the time, Somehow I ended up becoming attached to 3 of them, and have kept them for about 2 years now, I will have to check and see if I have any males, because I would love to see if I can get them to breed...

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Felix's tubercles with flash. He's a pain in the butt to get pics of with his amorous attitude to Alessandra.:irked:

Without flash.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Tubercles on a calico can be a bit harder to spot. Cal (this fish) developed them shortly after joining my tank, though there is a shortage of eligible females. Poor Cal.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
For the oranda rookies out there, please don't confuse the breeding tubercles with anything else. It can actually happen on wen growths too. Here's a shot of the male oranda by Kevbo of Koko's Goldfish Forum.

So this indicates my chocolate oranda Velvet is a male.:Angel:

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
They really don't develop them until that old? I haven't had my goldfish even a year yet, maybe 9 mos... they were at most 2" when I got them... and within just a few months of having them they were already showing these. I'd only had them 4-5 months at most. They grew incredibly fast, my largest 9mos later is probably at least like 5" now. Is it just weird that mine developed them so early?

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
They really don't develop them until that old? I haven't had my goldfish even a year yet, maybe 9 mos... they were at most 2" when I got them... and within just a few months of having them they were already showing these. I'd only had them 4-5 months at most. They grew incredibly fast, my largest 9mos later is probably at least like 5" now. Is it just weird that mine developed them so early?
they don't grow all that fast at first so by the time you see them in the store as the cheap feeder, they're a minamum of 1~2 years old. a good size one could be longer, so by the time he gets to the store, he's already changed from baby colors to adult colors, ie becomming sexually mature. feeding alot and warm water will also cause the maturation cycle to expedite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store