Sexing my Jack Dempsey, please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gender of my Jack Dempseys

• Total voters

echoxiaolixia

Small Potato
Apr 28, 2014
Atlanta
Real Name
Pretty *****! :)
Hello all! I have 2 Jack Dempseys. They are about half a year old. I bought them at the same time. Then one fish, Bully, is growing twice as big as another one, Nemo. Bully has this name because it always attacks Nemo. Even though I built 10 caves for them at the bottom of the 30 gallon tank,Bully drives Nemo to the one upper corner of the tank and Nemo stays there most of time while Bully is freely browsing all the caves and the entire tank. So I was thinking maybe both of them are male. However, recently, I saw them get together recently to do the belly dance, and Bully attacks Nemo less. So I am thinking maybe they are one male and one female. Additionally, their color and shape are distinctively different. Bully is so beautiful and big, and Nemo lacks color and has black strips on both side of the body and way much smaller. They look so differently that I almost feel that they are not both Jack Dempsey. I am thinking maybe Bully is male, and Nemo is female.

Please see the pictures below of Bully and Nemo. Can you please help me to identify their genders? Thanks!

Bully.JPGNemo.JPG

Bully.JPG Nemo.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Think you may have to wait awhile for identification on physical coloring. You might be able to tell by venting.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
They both look like females to me. The reason Nemo is that color is because she's stressed. I'd rehome her or pick up a larger tank for the two.

echoxiaolixia

Small Potato
Apr 28, 2014
Atlanta
Real Name
Thank you all. Bully is a total beautiful. Even though Bully attacks Nemo a lot, a lot of times they also hang out together and rubbing each other's body. Will two females do that?

echoxiaolixia

Small Potato
Apr 28, 2014
Atlanta
Real Name
This is a picture of Bully and Nemo hanging out together. They then will rub each other's belly for a little, then Bully will chase Nemo away.

B and N.JPG

B and N.JPG

echoxiaolixia

Small Potato
Apr 28, 2014
Atlanta
Real Name
Also, the brown scar on Nemo's head has been there forever. Will it be a disease?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store