shadowbox behind the tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drjdp

AC Members
Apr 10, 2006
Los Angeles
Six months ago, I set up my 55 gal. plexi tank. I wanted the tank to stand out from anything I had seen. So I built a shadowbox behind the tank. The shadow box has the same interior height and width as the tank. The box is 8" deep with an underwater background photo taped to the interio back. The whole box is screwed onto right angle brackets that are bolted into the cabinet. I built a canopy that matches the original canopy with matching radii edges. I cut mirrored plexi sheets for the interior sides of the box and mounted a 36" aquarium light in the top. The lightbulb is set in a flat black housing to hide it from reflecting on the background or shining into the tank. Since I use an under the tank cannister filter, I had to extend the tubing over the top and down the outer backside. The tubing is under the canopy so it's not visible from the front. I duct taped the bottom interior edge to the bottom of the tank to prevent any gravel from slipping out. I then filled the bottom with the same gravel as the tank, up to the level in the aquarium. I cut some local large branches and placed it on the gravel. I then added silk plants that match the live versions in the aquarium. The effect is very impressive. Visitors are shocked to find that the shadowbox is not part of the aquarium. The tank appears to extend into the shadowbox. Care must be given not to drip water down the back of the tank and any algae must be removed to keep the illusion. About the only way to tell that there is a seperated area is when an algae eater adheres to the back of the tank. When I figure out how to send photos to this forum I'll send them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store