Shark Tank Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dude1974

Registered Member
Jan 19, 2003
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and very glad I found it!

First I just want to ask a question that has been bugging me for years. I was in London and the London Zoo about 13 years ago and saw sharks there that i have not been able to find anywhere else, on the internet or in real life. I would guess the sharks were from around a foot long up to about maybe a foot and a half. Nothing amazing about this, but they had basically the exact features of a Great White! I haven no idea what they were called, the lable on the tank said "Shark" and nothing else, that I can remember. Does anyone know what they could have been? I haven't been able to find anything like them, and as of yet nothing that looks simular for such a small fish.

Anyway, I have a basement that I wish to rebuild and have a huge tank with the mentioned Sharks, if I can find 'em. There is a crawl-space, with concrete floor, at about 3 feet above the floor of the actual room. The crawl-space is about 20 feet wide, 20 feet deep and 4 feet high. I could turn the whole thing into a tank if necessary, but that might be a bit too big I recon. Only the front of the tank would be visible, but it would be accessable from the far end and I'm thinking cleaning the actual tank could be a problem. It all seems a bit too ambisious I guess, but I think it would be awesome if it was do-able, since I have the opurtunity.

I really want to get as much knowlegde about the fish and how it should be treated and maintained before I go ahead.

Any suggestions, comments, positive or negative views are very sought after..

Thanks guys and I hope for some responses :)

Bantam

AC Members
Aug 9, 2002
Lancaster, UK
Visit site
That would be one cool tank. not sure how practical though. i would guess the cost would be massive and you'd probably need help from someone with experience of building display tanks in public aquariums.

as for the shark is it possible it was a juvenile? have a look at http://www.wetwebmedia.com/sharks.htm it might give you some ideas.

if you ever decide to go ahead with this then let me wish you the best of luck - i hope you know what you're getting into :D. also make sure you post pics here!

regards

dude1974

Registered Member
Jan 19, 2003
Visit site
Yeah I've been thinking about them just being really young sharks and not even close to being full grown. I'm thinking thats the best bet 'cause I've found nothing like the ones i saw. I guess getting those exact ones is out the window then as having 10+ feet sharks is obviously not a option hehe

Thanks for the great link though, and I will surely keep you up-to-date on my progress should I go ahead.

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
Cool idea! I love sharks, and if I had the space, and financial means to maintain a shark tank, I would definately do it.

Up here, the Big Al's Stores have shark tanks. Both the ones in BC have them. I believe they have white-tips. My guess would be that the tanks they are in are approx 12 feet wide (front) by 10 feet long (side) by 6 feet high.

Maybe if you were to contact one of the BC Big Al stores you could get more information that way. They have a very cool setup. they do public shark-feedings every Tuesday. I do believe that size of a tank would be too small for a full grown white-tip though. The ones I've seen there, are about 3 feet in length, and they have 3 in each tank.

Try looking at the Big Al's website, and see if there's any info....

www.bigalsonline.com (follow the Canadian link)

Good Luck! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store