Should I add another?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rcervel

AC Members
Sep 29, 2007
New York
Ok, in the past I've had bad luck with GBR, previous 4 died during acclimation. So I gave them up for a while. Had good experience with Bolivians though, but it was hard to find females. So one day I'm going into one of the LFS they had a great looking stock of GBR, nice size too, the largest I've ever seen in a store, most of the ones I've seen other places are about the size of a quarter, but these where great and active.

I picked out what appeared to be the dominant male, largest and most active in the tank, and the best colored female. These fish showed good colors, plenty of blue spots on the face and tails.

Now that they're in my tank the male is active, eating and exploring no signs of stress, the female however is a little more shy, with very slight signs of stress coloring. From what I've noticed when mature GBR show vertical striped along the tail, and lack the blue spots this is a sign of stress.

The male chases the female when he sees her. So now she spends most of the time in the middle and top of the tank, sometimes coming down to the bottom when the male isn't looking.

They're both eating and looking for food, but the female is a little more apprehensive about food near the bottom. Right now she's hiding in the Amazon Sword. The tank is planted with a few other swords and a large piece of driftwood in the middle to break-up the sight line.

Should I get a second female to make it 1m:2f to lessen the male picking on the female or will he allow her to settle in after a while? They've only been in the tank for 2 days. The male seems fully settled but not the female yet.:help:

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Rams I have learned do not pair up just because you ahve a m/f. Getting a second female would be a good idea, but I would return the odd female back if you get a pair.

Remember though, especially with Rams, they take a while to settle in, and are not nearly as "curageous" as thier kin the Bolivians. Also, are you seeing any aggression between the Bolivians and blue rams yet? You sig would lead me to believe that they are not in the same tank though.

rcervel

AC Members
Sep 29, 2007
New York
I brought the Bolivians back to the LFS, they wouldn't stop fighting. I thought the Blue Rams would get bullied by the Bolivians but the male Blue Ram chased everybody even the larger Bolivian male. I'm going to give it another day or two to see what happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store