Should i stoop to chemicals?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
I am about 4 weeks through my cycling period on my new tank. As to be expected since the start I have had ammonia and nitrite levels. I have been doing 25%-30% water changes every two days and have plenty of filtration. I have been keeping both of my filters maintained and cleaned properly. The problem is....!!!! that inside the last two days my nitrite levels have increased from 0.25ppm to about 5.0ppm. i understand that during the cycling period this can happen and it can even soar as high as 10ppm. I now have to make a decision, shall I keep up the water changes and let it run its course, or shall I add chemicals to help aid me in reducing nitrite levels etc. The reason I ask is that my tank is fairly heavily stocked (this was forced upon me) and I really don't want to loose fish that I have had a long time. Does adding salt reduce how toxic the nitrite are to my fish? Can someone please advise on the best way to do things?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
water changes.

chemicals will only temporarily absorb nitrites and ammonia, as soon as their removed ammonia and nitrite will go back up to what they were previously.

HTH

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
But...this may give me the time I need for my cycling to complete. Right? If I use chemical until my bacteria has developed enough then when I stop using chemicals my bacteria should start to do their job?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
bacteria feed off ammonia and nitrites.

if you reduce the amount of ammonia and nitrites, you directly reduce the amount of bacteria you will have.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
PLease dont add any chemicals. The natural process will get you through the cycle eventually.

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
The whole of the bacteria colony will only grow as large as the amount of "food" being produced. If you chemically treat the ammonia and nitrite, you'll only experience another cycle when they've run their course. Keep in mind that your bio-load isn't changing, you just need your bio-filter to catch up. I guess it comes down to whether 10 mini-cycles would be better than 1 big cycle...can't say if I know what would be better.

EDIT: Wholly cripes...just read what everyone else said 8).

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
I am not a fan of chemicals and I don't want to use them, but I am a little concerned for my fish. It is not an ideal situation, but it is something I have to deal with, I have plenty of large fish producing plenty of waste, how dangerous are the nitrites I have to them? These are fish I have had for years, including one that is 12 years old. I understand peoples opinions on chemicals as i feel the same, but when would you get worried about your fish?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
water changes are the only remedy.

if you use ammonia or nitrite absorber chemicals the levels will still peak out after the chems have run their course.

Your fish are going to experience the peak with or without chems. the only way to make it less stressful is by doing water changes.

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
Its ok, I am not cleaning my bacteria away, just replacing filter pads when they need to be replaced to keep excess crap away from my bacteria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store