Show Quality Bettas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Krispy

Registered Member
Nov 23, 2017
Hamden, CT
Real Name
Krispy
Hello all, I hope everyone has had a nice Thanksgiving.

New to the forum, but I have been in the hobby on and off since I was a kid. I am in the market for a high end betta fish for a 10 gallon tank I've been thinking about. I was wondering if anyone had experience in purchasing a higher end betta fish, and more importantly, if someone could recommend a quality U.S. vendor. Thank you!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I know there are several betta societies in the US. You might join an east coast, Midwest or even a west coast 1...shipping costs, especially in winter, can be high & risky. Some of the "big box" stores carry many types of bettas these days. Unless you plan to breed them (a lot of work) maybe just a very pretty betta would do? There's always aquabid,...but if from Asia, plan on a LOT for shipping...

You might research NYC & NJ shops, clubs & auctions & have a daytrip to shops, that can be a lot of fun on roadtrips with a mission! My husband & I used to do it "back in the day", fun!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick

Krispy

Registered Member
Nov 23, 2017
Hamden, CT
Real Name
Krispy
Thank you snake and fishorama for your replies. I’ve always toyed with ordering off aquabid and thanks for the US vendor snake, and yes the colors of his are better than at my LFS, but I was looking for a $50 show stopper like the Asian vendors have haha. Not a bad idea to check LFS’s in NY either as fishorama stated. Figure I’ve been out of the hobby for about 4 years now and what a nice way to get back in with a small 10 gallon planted tank and a betta that would knock your socks off lol. I will keep looking, I’ve found some Asia-US middlemen, but was looking for a reference from an experienced buyer. There are plenty of horror stories out there. Ah well, I have plenty of time to find a dealer while I setup a 10 gallon and get it cycling.

Thank you both for your input it is much appreciated!!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Be careful of shipping costs from Asia. A $50 show betta can easily be twice that to actually get it to you on the east coast. There are some shops that carry amazing (to me) bettas. Even some "big boxes" have nicer ones these days. It'll depend on what your betta vision is for awesomeness. Some of the newer type are just not my idea of betta beauty, but may be yours.

We're going to need pics when you finally get him! & his fabulous planted tank too.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
I have ordered bettas twice from Thailand. Not fancies, but imbellis and wild splendens pairs. Both times my fish arrives healthy and happy. As a matter of fact, both times they spawned within a week! The cost wasn't too terrible. I think most Asian vendors charge, like 5 bucks to get them to the states, and the trans-shipper costs 25 or 30. I don't know that I would order in the dead of winter but I wouldn't hesitate to order something "special" if I found it on Aguabid. There are some really spectacular specimens available for about 75 to 100 with the shipping figured in.

It's a bit of a gamble having fish shipped even short distances. I believe it works out most of the time and it was worth taking the chance for me to get something I couldn't readily find locally.

Krispy

Registered Member
Nov 23, 2017
Hamden, CT
Real Name
Krispy
Thanks for that input Finster, and will definitely either start a build thread or include pics right here when I get it started.

Off topic question on filtration for the 10 gallon tank: What would you reccomend besides a HOB? Want to avoid the unsightliness of the HOB but am unsure if there is such a thing as a canister filter for only 10 gallons. Submersible sponge filter hidden behind some hardcape? Thanks in advance everyone

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Sunsun 603B canister filter. Find them on Ebay. Just make sure you get the B. They are also sold without the pump as pre-filters. Read carefully and ask the seller if you are at all unclear about the description.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store