Siamese Algae Eater breeding...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Anyone ever bred these guys? My parents have a very healthy trio of SAE Crossocheilus siamensis and one of them is particularly round. The fish is definitely not compacted and does not appear to otherwise be in poor shape; could this be a female ready to breed? I have tried to find info on breeding these guys to satisfy my curiousity more than anything but was met with little success. Any info would be appreciated...

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Females are stockier than males and more inclined to put on weight, so may or not be gravid. You can see if eggs are being held by putting a bright light behind the fish, but you need to know what you're looking for. Even this doesn't mean they will breed; it's one of those very, very rare breeding fish where most breeding reports are accidental. No-one really knows the trigger.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Thanks, not the info I was hoping to hear but it is what it is. I guess I will try the light thing if I can get her to sit still and then just wait it out.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
There's really no information to be found on it. I've been curious also. I have an adorable pair in my 75G. Of all the fish I have this pair is the most attentive and affectionate towards each other than any other fish I've ever kept. I love watching them interact.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Shucks, if you couldn't get them to breed Debbi I'm sure I'll have no luck! By the way, the big female dwarf chain loach that I have is getting HUGE! I'm really hoping to get a larger school setup for them(in a larger tank, none-the-less) by the end of the year

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Well my SAE pair are young yet so I have not given up hope! LOL!
Good news about the female sid! Keep your eyes open for lots of activity around the female should she decide to spawn for you someday. I saw the sids do this once, just like when a bunch of male cories keep after the female cory laying eggs....a bunch of sids followed the female ina frenzy type of swimming for a while.

Vlad_stolichnaya

Registered Member
Jun 30, 2022
Ive just wittness the same my 2 SAEs are instead of chaseing each other out of territory shimmying and rubbing and diving into the plants ! recently its been super hot here the tank temp riseing to 80 -82 in the day so i backed down the heater to 75 so the temp dropped with a window open at night; last night it rained heavily and today is coldish so the temp is now 76 this would suggest to me a temperature drop is one of the spawning triggers hope this information is usefull to someone!

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
That's good news. Also I don't have heaters on from May until probably September

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Very old thread here, still valid I guess. LOL

I saw the same behavior from time to time with the trio of SAEs I had for years. I never saw any eggs layed though.

Very entertaining fish. They were a family favorite for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store