Sick Betta after he ate freeze dried bloodworms!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
I finally found some freeze dried bloodworms this weekend and gave a few to my Betta. He wasn't that interested at first and I was just about to scoop them out of the water when he finally ate them.

Now, he's 'burping' them all over the place and seems to be really sick! He's trying to swim to the top of the bowl and then he kind of goes sideways and floats to the bottom and then does it all over again.

He's also a very vibrant silvery-bluegreen color and suddenly he seems like his color is "white-washed"

He is also keeping all his fins sorta of tucked into his body.

Anybody have ANY idea what is wrong with him? Did I poison him with the bloodworms????? :(

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
Sounds like he made a pig of himself ! This is very common in goldfish and other fish that eat off the surface of the water. He probably just got air in him while he was inhaling his treat.
Blood worms are one of a betta's fav.food and I think he'll be fine just keep a eye on him.The color change is due to the stress of floating around , and should come back once he feels better .

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Originally posted by Ozalie
Sounds like he made a pig of himself !
LOL! By gosh, I believe you're right! He is slowly making a comeback and REALLY seemed to like those bloodworms. Thought he had turned into a shark when he was 'inhaling' them! :rolleyes:

His color is still weird but at least he's not sinking and turning sideways anymore -- well, not as much anyway. I will keep an eye on him.

THANKS!

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
Poor Mr. Utley! Too bad they don't have fish versions of Pepto Bismol :D

Hope he's going to be ok. Do you have him in his new home now?

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Originally posted by ArkyLady
Do you have him in his new home now?
Not yet! Supposedly, the cycle is complete, but I haven't added him yet. I was planning on it today, though!

He's almost made a total recovery now... color is normal, he's not doing water aerobics anymore but he is rather still in his jar with his fins all downwards -- not swimming too much and normally he never stops. Someone gave me a pointsettia today and it's leaves are touching the outside of his jar which normally riles him up, but he's ignoring it.

Hopefully he'll be okay! I've gotten pretty attached to this guy -- he's been with me 18 months now and I know that's probably a very long time considering he was already probably a year old when I got him...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store