Sick Bolivian ram?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joeyg2100

AC Members
Oct 31, 2005
One of my Bolivian rams has been acting strange lately. She hasn’t ate in 3 days at the regular feeding time. She just spieling swims back and forth in one spot of the tank. The male has been darkening up and fan a lot in front of her. Is this a normal spawning behavior?

75BDBCCF-9E88-4ECC-8E9A-597594E6FE73.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's hard to say. Cichlid females often darken when ready to breed, but yours looks too thin to be full of eggs. Is "she" fairly small yet?

Tell us about your tank. Size, parameters (ammonia etc), how long it's been set up, other inhabitants etc, etc: Everything!!

joeyg2100

AC Members
Oct 31, 2005
It's hard to say. Cichlid females often darken when ready to breed, but yours looks too thin to be full of eggs. Is "she" fairly small yet?

Tell us about your tank. Size, parameters (ammonia etc), how long it's been set up, other inhabitants etc, etc: Everything!!
They are still fairly young, I just added them to the tank about 2 weeks ago. The tank has been up for over a year and a half. Other fish in tank are 2 angelfish, 6 cherry barbs, 6 Cory cats and a BN pleco. All in a 55 gallon
A=0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
"her" long pelvic fins concern me as to "her" sex. Often subordinate males take on female coloration & characterization to avoid being beaten to shreds by a more dominate male.

But you haven't had them long, they're small...give them some time & see what happens...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store