Sick Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dward254

AC Members
Feb 24, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
Hi,

First of all, I've been reading this forum since I bought my first sw tank in February and I want to say thanks for all of the great information that this forum presents and for the great job that all you pros do to help those of us who are just starting out. Thanks.

Now for my question, I have a yellow tang that is beginning to show some redish colored blotches on his sides. And, his face is starting to turn white (along the bridge of his face). Could someone help me identify the problem and suggest a solution. Thanks.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I'm not great with fish diseases, but I can try to point you along the right track. Google these two: Lymphocystis, Hole-in-the-Head/Head-and-Lateral-Line Erosion

dward254

AC Members
Feb 24, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
Thanks, i've been searching the web this morning and have identified it as HLLE. From what I've read, I need to improve it's diet and include more macroalgea. I hope that the erosion will go away and he'll be back to normal in no time. thanks!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
The erosion probably won't be improved, but the fish's quality of life isn't necessarily affected if you caught the erosion in time and you take the steps to correct it that you mentioned above.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Most likely, yes. I have heard of cases where they improved, but not many...and I don't know that those cases were HLLE. I'm sorry for the news about the aesthetics of your tang, but I sincerely hope that your fish is one of the many to survive HLLE and live a normal and productive life.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Generally the white can and will go away. But I'm not sure your tang has that since yellows are one of the ones that don't get HLLE like most tangs. If they have HLLE their dorsal and anal fins shrink. They generally don't get the white, but yours might have it. What is water quality? Sounds like the red is from bad water quality and the white can be a stress pattern. Just some other ideas cause like I said Yellow Tangs generally have their dorsal and Anal fins shrinking whenever they get HLLE. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
How often do you change the water? I always had problems with a yellow tang, but I went and bought me another about 3 wks ago. I decided I am going to take care of this one. I change my water more often. I don't feed him too much, about once every 2 days and this one is thriving, don't ask me how but this one won't get scared and go hide everytime someone comes up to the tank. Maybe I figured out how to raise this thing, but I've tried 2 other times and both died with what you describe. They get all faded out and shrink up and look as if I wasn't feeding it. This always happened soon after I would get them, right after the warranty period! I don't understand it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store