Sick Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dward254

AC Members
Feb 24, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
The tangs fins look fine and the water quality is within recommended parameters. I am treating the tank with copper because of a bout with parasites. Initially, I was told that it was ich. Then, I was told that saltwater fish rarely get ich and that it wasn't ich. Either way, I hoped that the copper would treat it, and it has done a good job so far. I have had copper in the system over 2 months now. My dog-faced puffer has still been scratching against the substrate on occasion but, he hasn't shown any signs of parasites or any other disease. I am trying to remove the copper by doing weekly water changes of about 10% and using activated carbon. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Sorry to tell you but once you add copper to your main tank, you can NEVER get all of it out. It will constantly live in the sand, rocks, sealent, filter, etc. That is why it is never recommended to treat the main tank. Two months of using copper is a long time. Copper can be very letal especially to certain fish. I would start doing larger water changes to get the copper out as soon as possible. Now I think the tang might be sick from the copper. I know it is generally not recommended but I would do a 50 percent water change one week, then the following week do a 25 percent water change, then again the next week do another 25 percent water change. That should help the tang a bit. But definetly try and get the copper out as soon as possible. It also wouldn't hurt to run Cuprisorb (by Seachem) to help get the copper out faster. Do this and the tang should get better. Hope this helps.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by dward254
Initially, I was told that it was ich. Then, I was told that saltwater fish rarely get ich and that it wasn't ich.
Did they then call it "crypt"? Crypt is a SW parasite which is very similar to the FW ich...

MSL, aren't puffers really susceptible to copper treatments? I think that I'd read that somewhere, but I'd like corroboration from a Marine expert.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store