silicone & pond liners

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
could i use silicone to glue pondliner to the inside of a plywood and glass homebuilt aquarium?

seems like it would be so much easier than learning how to fiberglass.

sean mckinney

AC Members
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
Sorry but I have the opposite experience, although it will 'stick' to a pvc pond liner the bond is not strong, if it is rubber liner I cant say.
I spoke to Geocel, an English partner of Dow Corning and for pvc you have to use Dow Corning 794S. This does contain a fungicide from memory but I only wanted a little silicon in 2600 US gal so I was prepared to risk it and I got some but then found liner seaming tape.
This will stick to glass and liner and you could make a bottomed and 3 sided liner box and stick the box to your glass.

If you still want to go the silicon route GE makes a fish safe one but unfortunately I dont remember the exact name.

Incidently you dont have to fiberglass you can use an epoxy paint and I am sure this has been done in

http://www.fishcrazy.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabbfish/YaBB.pl .

The thread may still be there but a lot was lost a while ago when the server was hacked

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
With my first true PVC liner, i used PVC cement to bond 3 liners together to make one BIG liner. I used excessive ammounts and allowed it 3 days to cure before testing with water. I'm not sure if it would work with EPDM or other types of liner, but I had about 7 years of use from that pond before I tore it down to make it bigger.

edit: wow, I missed the bus on the plywood thing... :eek: LOL that wouldn't work at all, you could TRY the silicon, but I don't think it would last long term.

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Andruboz,

Why not coat the plywood with several coats of epoxy paint and seal corners and glass with silicone? Skip the fiberglass and liner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store