Skunk cory looks strange

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cherylcse3

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2019
I've had him for 6 weeks. He (could be a she) looked exactly like this when I bought him (he was the last one at the LFS and I felt sorry for him). He's active, he hangs around with my other Cory's (4 other skunk cories, 5 bronze Cory's and 1 Emerald Brochis/Cory) and is always interested in food at feeding time. He shows no signs of sickness, other than this weird pale pink color, translucency and faded/incomplete markings that he's had all along. I feed regular fish flakes (I also have giant danios who exist peacefully with my catfish - no bullying), bottom feeder pellets (carnivore and wafer), brine shrimp, blood worms and tubifex worms. Giving them a varied diet

Was this caused by stress before I got him? If yes, will his color ever bounce back? Could he be some kind of mixed breed cory? He is bigger than my other skunk cories... more similar to the size of my bronze ones. Could he have been dyed? Just trying to alleviate my worry when everything else about him is normal.

20190414_180641.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
He looks bright eyed and healthy to me. It's good you've got other corys in the tank for him/her to school with. The only thing I would suggest with the "bottom feeder pellets" is watch the ingredient list on them. Most of the store offerings are pretty horrible with corn, wheat and fillers for the first 3 ingredients.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Fishorama:
Yes, you are correct. Skunk cat would be Corydorus Arcuratus . The picture is either Corydorus Rabauti or Zygatus.

He does look a little "washed out", but this maybe because the substrate is so bright. He does look strange, and the size of the tail makes me believe he is not wild caught, but may even be a hybrid.

Cherylcse3

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2019
Thank you for all the replies. I truly appreciate them :)

The only thing I would suggest with the "bottom feeder pellets" is watch the ingredient list on them. Most of the store offerings are pretty horrible with corn, wheat and fillers for the first 3 ingredients.
I have been using Hikari - Do you know of a better brand or just avoid sinking pellets altogether? I need to be sure the food gets past the Danios and the Danios even play with the sinking pellets.

Fishorama:
Yes, you are correct. Skunk cat would be Corydorus Arcuratus . The picture is either Corydorus Rabauti or Zygatus.

He does look a little "washed out", but this maybe because the substrate is so bright. He does look strange, and the size of the tail makes me believe he is not wild caught, but may even be a hybrid.

Thank you Fishorama & Tanker! Those look a lot similar, especially the Ztygatus with a purple-tint to them. I guess I was miss-sold him as a Skunk. It's likely that the LFS wasn't aware of his actual type either, as they don't stock either Rabauti or Zygatus (Skunk, Bronze, Julii and Albino are their normal choices). The way you see him today, is the exact way he looked when I bought him, there has been no additional fading since putting him in my tank. He was on a bright blue substrate at the store. Some of my fish have lightened slightly because of my substrate but their darker markings have remained pretty consistent and pop nicely.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Definitely keep up with specifically feeding the corys sinking foods, just be sure to read the ingredients list before you buy. Omega One products are usually easy to be had and have good ingredients. Plenty of others out there too.

Cherylcse3

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2019
Definitely keep up with specifically feeding the corys sinking foods, just be sure to read the ingredients list before you buy. Omega One products are usually easy to be had and have good ingredients. Plenty of others out there too.
Thanks again! I've ordered myself some of the Omega One pellets. I appreciate the guidance :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store