Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Small wooden planter style pond

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by Rafini, May 19, 2017.

1. Rafini

Rafini AC Members

Today at 12:42 AM
    Hello, I am currently designing some planters to go at the bottom of my deck in my backyard. I was thinking of having several planters maybe on a higher and a lower layer. and I thought of putting water in one and making a little summer pond to breed white clouds or mollies or something.

The planters themselves will have that membrane inside them to keep the dirt in the planter.
    I was thinking of taking the same design but have studlike 4x4 posts every 2' to brace for bowing. some 45 degree corner pieces to smoothe out the corners for the pond liner, and construct them in much a similar way as the other planters to make a set.
    essentially either a corner piece with a higher planter at the corner, two longer ones coming off on the sides
    or two long pieces at the bottom of the deck, with a lower tier infront of it.

I did some googling and I found some home made ones that look pretty promising but they are all quite big. This would be something more like 4x2 footprint of 5x2. nothing huge.
    It is a nice family project and I was wondering if anyone here had constructed something similar?
    I have had ponds before and I know that the bottom should be level sand etc but this is more of a liner filled planter so any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I am still in the design phase right now so I can change anything

2. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    37 minutes ago
    Sheila
    You might want to go look at the available preformed pond options. There are several close to that size, and you could then put a decorative frame around it to match the planters, and worry less about leaking and sand and such. I use stock tanks for my summer tubs. They work well, are easier to clean than a built in, and you know they're safe for fish.

3. MardieJane

MardieJane AC Members

Jun 14, 2017
    Camera Used:
    Cannon eos 5d markII
    Oh p,ease post pictures of your project! That sounds like a beautiful way to enjoy fish outside. How will you be able to see your fish? Will it be like a tiny Koi pond where you watch from above?

What about a aquaponic type? Maybe it could be wheeled in during the winter? This one is a purchased one.

Either way it would be a great project to share.

4. Rafini

Rafini AC Members

During the winter I was planning to bring them in to one of my many aquariums or simply sell all the fry the fish produce in the summer months. our last winter here was -25 and below from just before christmas right until march.
    Luckily for me I was in the Philippines for 3 weeks so I escaped it a little, but I don't think any fish is going to survive those conditions lol.

I hadn't looked into the preformed ponds actually. any recommendation of where to find them? I just assumed they might be a bit costly. that would for sure be a better option though.

I like the aquaponic video, I hadn`t thought of combining the planters in the pond but that might be interesting

5. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    37 minutes ago
    Sheila
    Depending on size, the preformed ones range from $50-150 at the local home repairs store (Home Depot/Lowe's in the states). Wood and sealant plus your time will run about the same.

I got my tubs filled yesterday and most of the plants in. Fish won't go out until June.

6. Rafini

Rafini AC Members

Sadly I have been too busy this summer working and vacation, and next week I will be back at college.
    I did however finish the preliminary design for the planters on Sketchup along with a facsimile of my own yard for reference of size.

The planters will be built most likely next spring.
    I actually work part time at home depot and here in Canada we have pond Liner and filter stuff but no preformed ponds themselves.

Just thought I would update this so people know its not Dead in the water. no pun intended.

It will be back!

7. myswtsins

myswtsins AC Members

Jen
    Today at 1:28 AM
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    Ah so is life. I'd love to see the Sketchup.

8. pbeemer

pbeemer AC Members

Sep 4, 2017
    4x4s every 2 feet are probably overkill. 2x4s every `18" (so 2 of them on the faces of a 4.5' wall) should do