Smallest tank size for fancy goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

j_diaz01

AC Members
Nov 14, 2012
Sunnyvale, CA
Real Name
John D
I've always loved the majestic beauty goldfish have. I love orandas and fantails. I've always wanted a tank with them. I realize they create a lot of waste so require large aquariums to keep a lot. But I was wondering what's the smallest size? I don't have a lot of room but I'm sure I can fit a 29gal or maybe even a 37gal. Would that be two small for 2 goldfishes? Do goldfish need to be kept in a larger group than two? Can they be kept happily by themselves?

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
You could easily do two goldfish in a 37gal tank. (It has the same footprint as a 29gal, it's just taller, so I would go for that if you can). Goldfish are not schooling fish, so you don't need to keep a large group of them. But, they also are not fish that will fight with each other (like betta) so you can have more than one without problems. Two in a 29 is doable, in a 37 would be even better. You could start off with little ones and watch them grow nice and big!!

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store