Smartlite vs Britelite?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bruddah Chrispy

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Redmond, WA
Visit site
Aloha kakou,

Does anyone out there know the difference between Custom Sealife's Britelite and their Smartlite? They both appear to be power compacts. In the 30" length I want, they are both 65w.

I've checked their website (which is very poorly done BTW) and I can't find any difference.

Any ideas? Anybody have either?

Mahalo in advance.

agilis

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I believe the "smartlite" is a divided tube combination of "ultra"daylight and actinic. The "brightlite" is all 8800K daylight. Smartlite is intended for reef tanks, brightlite for more general applications. I think the brightlite is probably better for most reef tanks as well. The need for large amounts actinic blue light over reef tanks is greatly exaggerated.

Bruddah Chrispy

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Redmond, WA
Visit site
So the difference is just the bulbs, not the strip light fixture? That's what I suspected. I'm just surprised that they have two different products, rather than have a single product for the fixture with different bulbs available.

Oh well. That's why I'm a computer geek and not in marketing.

Thanks!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by agilis
I believe the "smartlite" is a divided tube combination of "ultra"daylight and actinic.
Exactly.

The actinic does help bring out colors of saltwater fish though..

I was lucky enough to be able to return my SmartLites. I didn't look good on my tank.

And, yes, their website needs a lot of help...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store