Snail shell help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nskor

Registered Member
May 9, 2019
Hello,

So I have had this snail for about a year now, and their shell keeps degrading. I've tried many things to make sure that it has enough calcium but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions on what could be causing it? I've tried changing it's diet to be more calcium rich, added more calcium to the water, put it in it's own separate tank, water softener pillow but nothing has changed. I'm really worried for them and just want them to be healthy.

The water hardness does fluctuate and goes up quite a bit but when I lower it it always skyrockets back up. Is there something I can do to prevent that? If that is the main issue?

MVIMG_20190509_170411.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You should ask a moderator to move this to in invert forum, you'll get more help there (I'll see if I can ask for you). It does look like it's in trouble, what kind is it?

My guess is that snails like harder water, so a softener pillow is the wrong thing. To me "hard" water usually means higher GH & likely pH too. Calcium is good for snail shells too. I have trouble with "pest" snails eroding in my quite soft water.

I see you have plants, do you use co2?

Nskor

Registered Member
May 9, 2019
I don't use co2 and I'll make sure to reach out to the moderator, thank you

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Moved.