snails in my filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lynsay

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
I've just done a big clean out of my filter, and discovered little snails in the bottom of it! I can't understand how they would have got in there, because i've never put any in my tank - and never seen any in there!

Any ideas as to how they may have found their way into my filter?

NYCguppydude

Guppy Addict
Dec 14, 2008
NYC,NY,10034
wildguppystore.com
Real Name
Andy G.
Hi
IDK how they got into the filter only and not be seen in the tank at ALL! But they probably came in on store bought plants or decorations?

Lynsay

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
yeah i thought that may be the case - i had plants for a very short period, but they died a week or 2 later - i've cleaned my filter a few times since then and not seen any snails, but they could have been really tiny...

not that im too bothered about it, i just find it kind of odd!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I find snails in my filters every time I clean it. They likely get sucked up the intake, and end up in the media basket.

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
I have it happen ALL the time. I have a sponge on the end of my intake to catch plant matter. I am guessing the snails lay eggs on the sponge and when they hatch, they get sucked into the filter. That is my guess of how it happens to me.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I find my Nerite snails in my HOB filters. Im not sure how the climb in there,but they have stopped the bio wheels more than a few times!

I have pond snails in my planted tanks filters too. They must like the high water flow.

Lynsay

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
do you guys all have snails in your tanks? I've never put any in and never seen any in the tank itself, just in the filter today.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I've seen mine climb up the glass of the tank, under the outtake and then over into the filter.
The ones that go on the intake, get their bodies sucked out of their shells, so I wouldn't say that is how they get in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store