Snails stink...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BMorgan

AC Members
Jul 17, 2007
Northern California
Anyone else ever had a snail die?

I had a couple of turbo snails die recently and I didn't fish them out of the tank for a couple of days. As soon as I got them out, their bodies had turned into some sort of nasty soupy goop and the WHOLE house smelled with the one of the most HORRID smells I have ever experienced. It was so bad it almost made me want to vomit.

Anyone else here ever experienced this?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Yes, when snails die it is definitely one of the worst smells. It's one of those smells that really seems to linger, too.

Gene0514

AC Members
Jan 20, 2009
Staten Island, NY
thats what I have hermit crabs for, they eat the dead or dying snail before it decomposes.

mike_nikki

Aquaholic
Apr 4, 2007
St. Cloud
thats what I have hermit crabs for, they eat the dead or dying snail before it decomposes.
And sometime alive ones if they like their shell lol

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
I have only had that with freshwater snails so far, and it is the most awful retched smell. I found not fetching them out for a long while is the best solution. Other things in the tank will eat them, or the filter will clean it up. If you just want to get it out of there, I recommend not emptying the water out of the shell as you pull it out of the tank, then drop it right into a ziplock bag and out to the trash with it immediately! =)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store