So mad at my pleco!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lorindaleigh

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Yea, my pleco is a "common" pleco. Hes a big beautiful boy and hes my favorite. I have no intentions of breeding him because there are so many common plecos sold at pet stores and people have no idea what to do with them. I've heard of people killing them because they have outgrown their tank. :( Those that know a lot about plecos want the fancy pretty ones. :) It's almost like breeding common american shorthair cats. KWIM?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Geeze, you have a common pleco in a 20 gallon tank, and wonder why he's a problem? Swap the poor guy off for a BN that won't outgrow the tank, and you'll solve 2 problems at once.

lorindaleigh

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Geeze, you have a common pleco in a 20 gallon tank, and wonder why he's a problem? Swap the poor guy off for a BN that won't outgrow the tank, and you'll solve 2 problems at once.
You can have a common pleco in a 20 gallon until they out grown them. He has only recently started to out grow his. I am in the middle of getting him a 55G. I know what I'm doing with him, just need him to stop making pits. He would be making pits if I had the same substrate in a 55G as well.

marinkafuschia

AC Members
Oct 21, 2008
Olympia, WA
I’m so sorry but this is really funny, I can just picture him digging and covered in gravel, you should take some pics! I have given up on gravel rooted plants in my pleco tank, he always moves them around so now I just have epiphytic plants, maybe that would be a better option for you?
By the way a common may not last his entire life in a 55, I would suggest a 100 at minn. best of luck to ya!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
maybe this pleco has some sort of personality disorder and thinks he's a freshwater ray? hahahaha!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
It's probably not all that uncommon for a common pleco to do this if suitable substrate is provided to enable them to do it. I believe that when it comes time to spawn, the common plecos dig holes in the mud in the sides of the riverbeds where they live.

Last edited:

JamieB

JamieB
Oct 9, 2005
currently in another Orbit
Well after all it's gotta live there and you blame em if he wants it his way!:thm:​

Viyada Alexander

Registered Member
Feb 4, 2017
Need help or advice. Just bought a new cave for my common pleco he's a big boy or is it a girl? Anyway my big guy is not interested hiding in its new cave. It likes to sucks itself on the side of the tank. He used to hide behind a long leave plant but I moved the plant. It's decided to suck itself some where else. Do I give it time?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store