So new to the hobby...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MadRiley61

AC Members
Jan 23, 2017
I'm so new to the fish hobby I haven't even bought my aquarium, I'm still doing information gathering. My question is do I want to start with a complete kit from the LFS or do I want to buy all the equipment separately? Right now I'm looking at a 29 gallon starter kit.
Thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
That's a tough question. If you know what fish/plants/inverts you are interested in, you're likely to get a more meaningful answer, but here are my thoughts.

The kits are usually suitable for a fish only setup--they don't have covered intakes to prevent shrimp from being sucked in, they lack the necessary light for all but the most basic of plants. There are exceptions, of course, but mostly in less than 10 gallon range.

Another consideration is that many of the kits include press board stands. Press board is sturdy, until it gets wet, and then it becomes a slowly sinking time bomb to flood.

Personally I wouldn't buy a kit for a 29. (well, nor would I buy a 29, but that's a different issue entirely). The filters that come with the kits, even if suitable for the stock you choose, tend to be on the lower end of quality, and wouldn't meet my needs. Ditto the light. The heater MIGHT be ok, but since most of my tanks run without heaters, it's fairly moot. Optional items such as 'bacteria starter' are a waste of money, and the water conditioners are usually not my preferred brand and all too often include additives I avoid (ie, Aloe. Fish do not need aloe.)

Reactions: William Harris

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I personally like 29g tanks or a 20 long as a minimum size for a starter tank. 29's are the same footprint as the 20L, but taller. Like Sheila said, the components that come with kits are typically low quality and undersized. Your best bet for bare tanks if you can't find them used on CraigsList or the likes, is the Petco dollar per gallon sales that they run several times per year. For filtration, glass tops, lighting, heaters, etc. Mail order is your best bet.

FWIW, when I got back into the hobby after a ~25yr hiatus, I started with a Top Fin 29g kit from Petsmart. I wouldn't go that route again.

The Crazy Ape

AC Members
Dec 27, 2016
Best value is petco and their $1 gal sales. get a 75 gal you will never regret it.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I think you'll get a much better deal and better quality items if you shop around and buy bits from here and bits from there rather than a complete kit from one shop. You'll also be able to tailor the equipment to your needs much easier than relying on something put together for general use.

I also agree that a 29 gallon tank is a good size tank for starting out. Its manageable if you're short on space and also a good enough size that you can make a mistake here and there and also have a wider range of options in fish. It is also not too deep to be difficult to light if you want to venture into live plants.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

MadRiley61

AC Members
Jan 23, 2017
Funny ya'll mention Petco $1 a gallon sale, because it's going on right now. Guess I'd better jump on it before it goes away. I was mooning over a 55 gallon earlier in the day but didn't think I was quite ready enough to commit.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good for you! Yes, the sale started just after Christmas I believe and ends Jan 31. They even included the 75g in some stores this time around. I would get a pair of glass tops and a 48" strip light of some sort. What are you using for a stand? Filtration? Mail order is much cheaper for that stuff.

MadRiley61

AC Members
Jan 23, 2017
I did it! Woo Hoo! The sale at Petco ends the 27th so I got a 55 gallon and most everything else I need to get started except for a hood, substrate and plants. I haven't found it yet, but is there information here about aqua-scaping?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Planted or unplanted? If planted, look at the Aquatics Gardeners Association webpage. (and consider joining, it's a great resource).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store