so...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! THEY'LL PUT THEM IN 2"x2" CUPS BEHIND THE BETTAS AND TELL EVERYONE THEY'RE DIEING, NOT FEEDING THEM OR ANYTHING!! :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :headshake2: :headshake2: :headshake2: :headshake2: :headshake2:
:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Get a pond, man. Shubunkins = Koi, AKA 3+ feet, and common goldies get almost 2 feet. If you take them back, take them to a LFS, not the !@#$% holes at WalMart!
I agree! Do not ever tank a fish back, unless you really HAVE to, because there's a good chance someone's gonna kill 'em...

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
I already do! They each have their own unique personality. It's so fun to watch them. :)

LOL, I forgot how messy them are though! I'm doing two 90% water changes a day and their water is still cloudy!!!:eek:
Glad you're enjoying them. Once you raise these fish and move them to a larger tank or pond, you might want to consider a few fancy goldfish for your new 55. You may just love a few Orandas, or another type that can live comfortably in a 55. As far as I'm concerned, goldfish are the puppies of the fish world. They are the fish that seem to love you back.

My fancy goldies are a pain, too, as far as water changes and maintenance. They are a lot more work than my tropical tanks. They are also more like pets. Get used to those water changes for awhile. They'll still need lots of fresh water even after they're moved to the 55. I don't mind it, because I love my goldies. They seem to have no idea that the gravel vac could be a danger to them. They are busy brushing up against my hand and wiggling at me for a treat. They get some kind of treat after a water change. They are 100% social with me, and I can't say that about any of my tropicals. While I'm fixing dinner for the family, they are congregating on which ever side of the kitchen they see me standing. They're adorable!

(As a side not about the "drama" aspects of this thread, "More_Cowbell" deserves our grace for trying to do right by these fish. "akapaul26" deserves our grace for also having good intentions.)

More_Cowbell

You're gonna want that cowbell
Glad you're enjoying them. Once you raise these fish and move them to a larger tank or pond, you might want to consider a few fancy goldfish for your new 55. You may just love a few Orandas, or another type that can live comfortably in a 55. As far as I'm concerned, goldfish are the puppies of the fish world. They are the fish that seem to love you back.

My fancy goldies are a pain, too, as far as water changes and maintenance. They are a lot more work than my tropical tanks. They are also more like pets. Get used to those water changes for awhile. They'll still need lots of fresh water even after they're moved to the 55. I don't mind it, because I love my goldies. They seem to have no idea that the gravel vac could be a danger to them. They are busy brushing up against my hand and wiggling at me for a treat. They get some kind of treat after a water change. They are 100% social with me, and I can't say that about any of my tropicals. While I'm fixing dinner for the family, they are congregating on which ever side of the kitchen they see me standing. They're adorable!

(As a side not about the "drama" aspects of this thread, "More_Cowbell" deserves our grace for trying to do right by these fish. "akapaul26" deserves our grace for also having good intentions.)
On all accounts I couldn't agree with you more. The first goldfish I ever had were orandas and I was actually planning on buying a 55 for them sometime in the near future. I don't mind the water changes either... the only thing that sucks is sucking! I have to brush my teeth every time I do a water change because even the AIR tastes bad!!!!:eek: yick yick yick yick yick! But it's still worth it!:grinyes:
I've only had these little guys for *checking thread* six days and I'm already getting a feel for their individuality! Now the hard part; naming them!:)

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Oh my gosh! Are you talking about sucking on the end of the gravel vac!?

Don't do it! Don't do it! Don't do it! LOL I understand why you don't want to do that! Yuck! Make it easier on yourself, so you're less likely to put it off.

I did it once with my mouth, and made my husband do it a few times. Than I was determined to do everything on my own when it came to my tanks. That way he can't complain about my MTS.

I'm a female, just a little over five foot, that manages to take care of multiple tanks without a Pithon. I use a 3 gallon bucket that is only used for my fish, and a manual gravel vac. I put the gravel vac in the tank, place the other end between my knees pointed in the bucket. Then I squeeze my infant nasal aspirator, and place it inside the tube that is pointed in the bucket, to do the sucking for me. Sometimes I have to remove it, squeeze, and put it back in to get it going, but my mouth NEVER goes on that thing! You can buy one at any drug store for about a buck or two. If you don't know what I'm talking about, let me know, and I'll post a picture. A turkey baster might work, too. I got my infant nasal aspirator from the hospital after having a baby. They are usually blue, and just look like a blue ball with a pointy edge.

Hope that is some help to you.

More_Cowbell

Oh my gosh! Are you talking about sucking on the end of the gravel vac!?

Don't do it! Don't do it! Don't do it! LOL I understand why you don't want to do that! Yuck! Make it easier on yourself, so you're less likely to put it off.

I did it once with my mouth, and made my husband do it a few times. Than I was determined to do everything on my own when it came to my tanks. That way he can't complain about my MTS.

I'm a female, just a little over five foot, that manages to take care of multiple tanks without a Pithon. I use a 3 gallon bucket that is only used for my fish, and a manual gravel vac. I put the gravel vac in the tank, place the other end between my knees pointed in the bucket. Then I squeeze my infant nasal aspirator, and place it inside the tube that is pointed in the bucket, to do the sucking for me. Sometimes I have to remove it, squeeze, and put it back in to get it going, but my mouth NEVER goes on that thing! You can buy one at any drug store for about a buck or two. If you don't know what I'm talking about, let me know, and I'll post a picture. A turkey baster might work, too. I got my infant nasal aspirator from the hospital after having a baby. They are usually blue, and just look like a blue ball with a pointy edge.

Hope that is some help to you.
I've been sucking on the end of the gravel vac for four years!!! I devised a little system where I just suck once really hard and it works pretty good. I don't even really put my lips on it, I kinda tuck them in... I bet it looks really funny. I guess I just never thought of doing it any different...:drool:
I know what the bulbie thing is... we used to have a couple but they've gone missing. I'll try it with a turkey baster later today. Thanks for the help... hopefully I'll never have to taste goldfish poop again!:grinyes:

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
...And my coworkers thought I was gross putting my HANDS into the long abandoned 75 I bought from the office...

I'd rather suck on a hose to a gasoline tank than a fish tank anyday!

Fill the hose with water...even if from a faucet...make sure no air bubbles, cover the ends with your fingers. Put one end into tank, one in bucket, remove fingers...

Works with any reasonable length of hose as long as outlet is below inlet and no air bubbles.

I guess you could say that method doesn't suck.

--Don

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
FYI, there are gravel vacs available that have a valve and self-prime by pumping up-n-down, too. One came with my 75 setup, worked OK for a periodic change, but wasnt happy going all the way down. It was sectional, and the sections leaked a bit. A little petroleum jelly or sealant may fix that, tho.

--Don

More_Cowbell

Check out the thread "I'm sick of sucking dirty water down my throat" on the Freshwater DIY forum for more info.
--Don
Too bad none of those techniques will work for a two gallon bowl... I've always been a pumper though, I wonder if the fish get scared of a big clear tube rapidly jerking up and down???:)

Anywho, the fishies were clean and happy so I took a pic...

Lol, the two gray ones that I bought are quickly turning gold!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store