Someone explain pH of tap water vs filtered water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bzboy1

Registered Member
May 10, 2017
Using AMI test kit, the pH of my tap water is 7.0. I also have a ZERO water filter but the pH of the filtered water comes out 6.0.

A lot of folks recommend RO water for water changes for their shrimp tanks but I read the pH of RO water is also slightly towards the acidic side.

Should I use tap water to maintain a more neutral pH or use the ZERO filtered water? I use Prime also.

These are red cherry shrimps.

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
Using AMI test kit, the pH of my tap water is 7.0. I also have a ZERO water filter but the pH of the filtered water comes out 6.0.

A lot of folks recommend RO water for water changes for their shrimp tanks but I read the pH of RO water is also slightly towards the acidic side.

Should I use tap water to maintain a more neutral pH or use the ZERO filtered water? I use Prime also.

These are red cherry shrimps.
I am interested in the same topic. Confusing.
The pH out of my tap is 7.4. When I check it in my tank, it is 8.4! I've considered RO water too.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
A consistent pH is the main thing. To get a true reading of your tap water, let a sample of tap water sit overnight, then measure it's pH. What ever that pH is, is what your tank ideally should read IMO.

Reactions: myswtsins

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I am interested in the same topic. Confusing.
The pH out of my tap is 7.4. When I check it in my tank, it is 8.4! I've considered RO water too.
This is very common. CO2 gets dissolved in the water as it travels through the pipes. CO2 is acidic, which results in the lower pH. Outside the pipes, either in your tank or in a glass overnight, the CO2 gases off, resulting in the jump up. If you're bored, you can observe this by testing immediately after pouring, and repeat every 20 minutes or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store