South American Cichlid Tank Idea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

funnyfish

Registered Member
Dec 9, 2018
I’m thinking of getting a 60 gal. South American Cichlid tank. I’m having a tough time deciding weather to do a two firemouths and some large tetras, or some blood parrots, or ANY SOUTH AMERICAN SETUP!!!!!!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome! Tell us more about your setup. Is it a 48"x12" footprint? How do you intend to cycle the tank?

Finding a mix of SA cichlids that will work in this size tank is tough as you probably know. Could possibly do a severum and some smaller fish or a group of keyholes.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Just an FYI, Firemouths are not SA. They are from central America, where the water is not as soft and acid as SA water

Reactions: FreshyFresh

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
SA cichlids are like Rams, Apistos, Festivums, Angels, Discus, Geos, ect.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

funnyfish

Registered Member
Dec 9, 2018
Would a severum be fine with a BN pleco, and some corys? I don’t wanna over crowd the tank

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You could do a severum in a 60g as a centerpiece fish. I wouldn't keep more than one given the size they get. I have a 5-6yr/old green severum in a 75g that is ~8" and very wide.

Keyholes are much smaller in comparison. I've also got one of those in a planted community 55g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store