Stand height?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bridgerunner

AC Members
Aug 11, 2011
Portland, OR
Real Name
Jay
You don't say what size tank you want on said stand. That kind of makes it difficult to offer much real world advice.

A lot of saltwater stand companies and higher end planted tank companies make taller stands because of the taller equipment that has to be housed in them, things like protein skimmers or CO2 tanks.

Another option being used by folks like Evolution Aqua or Innovative Marine are stands made from aluminum frames, either should work for you, I assume.

There's also a pretty big fish store in Portland, The Wet Spot, if that's where you still are, I would try asking their suggestion, I have $5 says they would be able to hook you up with somethin
I had to call six times earlier this week to get through. I think with so many people at home, everyone is spending more time on their aquariums, plus they’re managing their whole new shop-by-appt system. They just seem overwhelmed.

The reason I’m embarking on this project now is a friend is giving me a $400 gift certificate to Wet Spot. My friends are way too good to me :)

But I’m going to get a tank/stand combo from Petsmart and save the gift certificate for stock, plants, hardscaping, filter, substrate...

I’m going to go with brick or cinder block to raise it a little.
Oh, and the tank is a 65 gallon. 24” high. I will definitely have to get a small ladder to fully service it. But more trouble servicing it is worth it to me to be able to stand fully upright and watch my fish.

I tend to do large shoals of small fish. The biggest fish in this tank will be a small shoal of turquoise rainbows. Also rummynose tetras, ember tetras, some small corys, and eventually, once it gets *really* well established, some otos. Lots of small fish. Best way to watch them is right up close. Unless I drag a chair across the room every time I want to watch my fish for a few minutes, I need to be to able to watch them without slouching.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I remember having cinder blocks once to raise up a tank. Not pretty, but functional. Brick seems trickier as there can be variations in smoothness that may cause trouble.

I'm jealous you live near Wet Spot. I went there once a few years ago on vacation, I got some very cool loaches.

bridgerunner

AC Members
Aug 11, 2011
Portland, OR
Real Name
Jay
Well, I just went and ordered a ~50 gallon Water Box with a 36” high oak veneer stand, the Clear 3620.

It will be my first “nice” aquarium and I’m ridiculously excited about it. I also dropped $1050 instead of $250.

I’m justifying this because I had a pretty new car totaled recently and have a refund coming back for a big chunk of unused service contract and gap coverage, so hey, windfalls should always be spent on aquariums, right? And also because most of the other needs for this build will be covered by a gift from a friend.

Also because I’ve been a little nervous about my floor being even/level enough, and this stand has leveling feet, enough of them to hold the weight.

The tank itself is only 18” high. I came way to close to spending another $350 to get the Clear 4820, not even for the extra twenty gallons/twelve inches, but because it’s 2” taller.

Reason intervened and reminded me that lights are expensive. And also that a 54” total height premium frameless aquarium will be a lot easier to view than even 60” framed aquarium.

I did spend some time considering getting the Water Box stand and a 65 gallon acrylic aquarium that’s 24” high—but the aesthetics of the Water Box are just amazing.

Reactions: dudley

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Congratulations man!

I love rimless aquariums, I'm sure you will too :)

Reactions: bridgerunner
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store