Starting a pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish Master

Needs more fish tanks
Aug 17, 2012
Colorado
I'm thinking about starting a :goldfish: pond. I'm thinking about a 500 gallon. I would like to know how much it would cost and how long it will probably take.:popcorn:

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
There are a lot of factors involved. Were you thinking of a pre-formed pond, or digging one yourself? Liners can be expensive, and you want to be sure you get a good quality liner. Plus an underlayment, a filter....if you are in an area that gets cold in the winter, you might need a floating de-icer, too.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Sounds like one of those "How long is a rope?" lol You want above, below ground ,plants ,fish both tropical cold water
even salt if REALLY ambitious lol What would be the winter plan?, Waterfalls, streams ,,bogs Ornamental or functional ??
need a LOT more info gary

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I installed this pond several years ago. It is a complete system with pond filter, lighting, pumps, waterfall, liner, plants, fish, etc. The firestone liner was almost $900.00. Total cost was $5,000.00

It is in sandy soil so there is a french drain beneath with a sump pipe to extract any water that gets under the liner. The lighting included uplights to accent the palms at night and one underwater light shining up at the waterfall. The customer loved it and still has it.

It all depends on how extavagant you want to get, where you live, where in the yard it is put and many other factors, besides.

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
The pond in my previous post took a week to do.

Mark

Fish Master

Needs more fish tanks
Aug 17, 2012
Colorado
I was thinking about digging one myself.
Do you know where I could get a good quality liner?
A good filter too?
Also where can i get a good de-icer?:goldfish:

I better start digging before my goldfish outgrows my 36 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store