Stocking 55 gallon tank advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ramlover224

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2022
So, I have a 55 gallon Tank that was cycled for five months and it came with a big blue gourami when I got the tank. I went to the pet store and was thinking of getting just two acara cichlids for my tank since I had always really wanted to keep cichlids. I heard acaras were the most docile and id be able to add other fish inside that were relatively compatible with enough plants and hides. So I picked up what I thought was two acaras that were in the mixed cichlid tank. I then added another smaller blue gourami and saw it was going well and the cichlids just swam at the bottom and minded their own business for the most part. I had put a lot of floating plants and planted plants in the tank at this point to create coverage. Knowing that it was going well after a month i picked up two flame gouramis which also acclimated well to the tank and stayed out of the cichlids way. After another month and seeing that they were fine I have now added a gold gourami and a pearl gourami. It’s been a couple of days and they seem to be fine but the thing is when I was reasearching all types of cichlids I realized that they were acaras but demonsi. So now I have a pair of demonsis in my tank and i’m worried that when they finish growing they’ll get aggressive with the gouramis I already have even if they’ve been fine up to now. With that being said should I try to move or rehome the cichlids or do you guys think it’ll work if they’ve been fine? Thank you in advance for all the help!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
6 gourami all together in a 55? and then cichlids too? Wowzas.. I'm surprised things didn't go south from the get-go. It is hit/miss with them on how things go though. Most wont tolerate any fish similarly sized or shaped. The only one I've kept that didn't have this behavior was a female pearl gourami. I have a large male blue gourami that I've had for a few years that will absolutely not tolerate anything resembling a gourami. He's in an unheated 55 with some gold barbs, a dojo loach and a BN pleco.

The only cichlid aside from angle fish that I've kept in a 55g was a blue ram at one time and then a keyhole cichlid. I think a few keyholes and some smaller fish would be a nice mix for a 55.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store