Stocking 55 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tabendall

Jun 28, 2008
St. Johns, Michigan
I currently have a planted 90 gallon with angels and rainbowfish, a 12 gallon nano with multies and a 24 gallon planted nano with tetras. I have decided to downgrade to one 55 gallon non-planted tank. I have been keeping fish for 35+ years and have experience with saltwater, africans, central/south american cichlids ... you name it. I've had so many favorites over the years so having a hard time deciding on stocking.

If you had one 55 gallon tank, how would you stock it? Thanks for sharing your ideas!

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
A bare bottom tank with lots of driftwood and hardscape can be attractive and easy to maintain.
A quirky choice would be to use a blue light and stock with glow danios and tetras along with a few blind cave tetras which look great under blue light. Maybe a few of those florescent laser cories for the bottom.

tabendall

Jun 28, 2008
St. Johns, Michigan
A bare bottom tank with lots of driftwood and hardscape can be attractive and easy to maintain.
A quirky choice would be to use a blue light and stock with glow danios and tetras along with a few blind cave tetras which look great under blue light. Maybe a few of those florescent laser cories for the bottom.
That's a cool idea! Thanks!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have never has a Goldfish tank, that (to me) maybe fun.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have had shellies, but not for almost 35years now. They were fun and easy to keep. I have never had a Goldfish tank before.

Catfisharebest

AC Members
Aug 13, 2015
Va
Real Name
Cole
Camera Used
Iphone 5c
maybe give some native fish a try? Sunfish are cichlids and behave as such, and a stream setup similar to that for hillstream loaches gives you hundreds of choices alone. We have so many underrated fish that are worth a look! Not his best picture, but this is my adult male Rainbow DarterIMG_3057.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store