Stocking a 29 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Colton

AC Members
Jun 28, 2017
Ok, so I am new to fish keeping and have recently purchased a 29 gallon tank! So far in my fish tank I have 1 rainbow shark, 7 neon tetras, 1 bristle nose pleco, 2 male fancy guppies, and 2 nerite snailes. What would be some advice for stocking, do I have any more room or should I stop?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Welcome to AC and to the hobby!

Is the tank fully cycled? (nitrogen cycle). Do you have test results from a liquid test kit? When talking stocking levels it is all about test results.

But in general.... the shark is going to be a problem. They are semi-aggressive and get rather large at 6". It will not only (usually) terrorize your other fish but will eat your neons and possibly your nerites. Plus it should be in something larger than a 29g long term. These "sharks" do best in a semi-aggressive tank setup, not a community setup.

Without the shark you definitely have room for more fish though. :)

Colton

AC Members
Jun 28, 2017
Yes, I believe the tank is fully cycled. I assume by test results you mean ammonia test and last time I tested the ammonia was at .25 however I just did a 25% water change. As far as the shark goes he has been friendly and I have never seen him attack any other fish (unless a pleco was in his territory then he chased it out).

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
The ammonia and nitrite levels should be 0 if the tank is fully cycled. Yeah the shark seems friendly now but it's when he starts to grow older and get bigger that he'll become aggressive. If the ammonia is still at. 25 I might suggest another water change.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Yes, fully cycled would be 0 ammonia and nitrite. What level is your nitrite and nitrates?

Yes again, "sharks" become more aggressive as they get older. Juveniles are typically calm giving all new comers the illusion that their shark in a community tank will work when no one else's does. There are VERY rare cases where it does work but that is not the norm. We all like to learn from our own experience though. ;)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I hope you have your tank well covered, sharks can & will jump especially in a smallish tank. We kept 1 in a 29g for just a few days before a friend was to rehome it...& oops! Tragic!

They really need a 4ft tank &, as myswtsins said, are semi-aggressive to bottom fish, other shark shaped fish & maybe to slow swimmers like your male guppies. They sure are pretty though! How big is he now? You may have several months but probably not a year to get a big tank or rehome it. This hobby is addictive, so don't be surprised when you "need" a big tank soonish, lol, just so you can keep different fish. It's happened to many of us.

I would not add more fish to your tank now...but if you absolutely "have to", a few more neons would be my choice. Most of your fish are not full adults & need room to grow.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I have a 5.5 inch rainbow shark and it isn't aggressive to any of my fish, not the angels, not the 3 inch emerald Cory, not even the 1 inch bronze cory. The most he does is chase other fish away from his favorite flower pot cave. I may just have a peaceful one, I don't know.
Anyway, your stocking looks good except for the rainbow shark. I'd rehome him like others have said so far. If you got rid of him, I'd say you could have 15 neons.
Do you have any plans to make it a planted tank? :D
If you need some beginner plants, I suggest anubias. They are a rather hardy species and easy to grow species in my experience. Anubias Nana is a personal favorite of mine. If you want something extra tiny, look up anubias petiete. If you're looking for something the complete opposite of the extra tiny anubias petiete, try the huge amazon sword. Swords are hardy in general. Want something that can spread fasts and looks nice? Try crypts. There are so many different types of crypts that you could fill a 55 gallon or even a 75 gallon with different types of crypts.
Hear me out on this one, look into bamboo...... They can make the tank a true centerpiece and eye catcher in the room. But you have to get them pretty tall, tall enough that the leaves stick out of the water. I personally bought 12 sticks of bamboo that had 24 inch straight stalks. With the curvy parts and the leaves, it comes to 40 inches. I bought mine on amazon, so if you do get some, get the 24 inch ones as they will be plenty tall enough.
It'll be a nice attention piece if you entertain a lot.
(When I just went to measure my bamboo. I found a mystery snail egg clutch on it :D )

Colton

AC Members
Jun 28, 2017
Thanks evryone for tge advice i will defanately reconsider my tank. I was thinking of returning the neon tetras and guppies to petco, and turning the tank into an semi agressive tank. I was thinking maybe an blue goraumi, and one other semi agressive fish however I don't know if the 29 gallon tank would be big enough. I am happy to do whatever will look best and have the happiest fish, however the shark is a must.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Save up for look for a used or new 55g or 75g soon-ish. A 4ft tank is a must if the shark is also a must have. The 29g is not going to be large enough for him long term but you could keep it for the neons &/or guppies.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
If you get a 75 gallon tank, then perhaps an Oscar would suit your fancy? You would probably have to get rid of the loach once the Oscar gets big enough to consider him food though.
Blue gouramis are lovely fish. I had a female blue gourami that I will never forget. She was the kindest fish you'll ever meet. Didn't even bother the neons (back when I had them) and didn't shove anyone when it was food time. Look at the females, I hear they tend to be less aggressive. If you want to, look up how to sex them. Its not too hard. Perhaps an angel fish?
Ooh, yes. I can see it now. The core foundation of the tank being an angel, a blue gourami, and the rainbow loach. Beautiful. Have you heard of rainbow fish? They are an odd fish. Big body and small head. Not everyone likes them (me). But they do look nice (in someone else's tank :p )
Are you gonna keep the pleco?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store