Stocking and Compatibility for a 55g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ptrk1221

Registered Member
Jan 5, 2019
Hey everyone, I wouldn't consider myself the biggest newbie in the freshwater community my 55g has been up and running for a little over two years and I am looking for some recommendations as to fish to stock my tank as well as compatibility with my fish currently as I do not want to overstock or end up messing with the community I currently have.
My current setup is:
55G
Marineland magniflow 220
Temp: 77-78 F
Lots of rocks, caves, and plants as well as driftwood as well as a gravel substrate
Currently only have two fish 1 Koi Angelfish and 1 blue dwarf gourami
I want to keep adding fish that are colorful and compatible with those two.
Currently I am looking at a bushnose pleco, some cardinal tetras, a german blue ram and maybe some barbs as well or other bottom dwellers but I am not set on any and want everyone's suggestions and experiences and I am not sure what fish pair very well with each other. I also am not sure how many I can get without overstocking due to bioload. Also if anyone has suggestions or experiences from buying fish online vs a LFS that would be appreciated too.

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Welcome!

I have a 55g with similar fish so heres what I keep. I assume youve cycled the tank and understand the nitrogen cycle.

1 Angelfish
1 German Blue Ram
1 Female Betta
11 Rummynose tetras
6 female endlers
5 platies (2 adult males and 3 fry)
10 cories (5 peppered, 3 albino and 2 panda)
1 bristlenose pleco
Colony of neocaridina shrimp
Lots of live plants

I run an eheim canister and 2 larger sponge filters for filtration.

I dont recommend cories if youre using gravel substrate. I use very fine gravel thats almost the size of sand. You could look into small loaches. Kuhlis, botia, dwarf chain, etc.

Wouldnt recommend cardinals and angels together as the angel will eat them. Mine chases my endlers sometimes and theyre bigger then cardinals. Go for a larger tetra species.

Also keep an eye on the gouramie and angel. I had to rehome a blue dwarf gouramie because he began picking on my angel.

Ive never ordered fish online so cant help there. I do recommend a quarantine tank if you do order online. Even from LFS should be quarantine for minimum 2 weeks.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome!

To me, angels and gourami are a case by case basis. Some get along with others no problem, others are a problem no matter the situation. Best bet is to keep them as a center piece fish, where the others in the tank are smaller, but not necessarily bite sized.

Keep feeding needs in mind as well. BN plecos need to be fed sunk veggies and a quality sinking wafer. Read the ingredients labels carefully on those. I like omega one veggie rounds, but there's other good ones as well.

I've kept corys in tanks where it was a bugger to feed them. The other hogs in the tank would get to their food quicker, so I had to feed them (at dark) late at night or very early in the AM.

Jan 6, 2019
Couldn’t agree more on the angelfish. I’ve grown out some batches of 100 or more and there’s always a few in the mix that are just like mad dogs in a scrum as well as the timid ones that can’t get a morsel and just get shoved aside and lag in size. In short, they’re cichlids and can be very singular in personality. If you decide on more, just have an escape plan in case it just ends up total chaos. Females are better at coexisting, but it’s about impossible to sex them at anything smaller than a silver dollar in body size.

Plecos can be both blessing and curse. You can throw away the algae scraper, but rev up the gravel vac as they are turbocharged pooping machines. If they don’t get enough to eat, they can turn on some plants.

Some Cory species are really good schooling fish too and will coexist far more easily and amicably. As already suggested, keep in mind they need to be fed, so watch to make sure they get their share at feeding time.

Just some thoughts.

Reactions: ptrk1221

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I just read the 3 suggestions and there is nothing else to add. They have covered all aspects.

Reactions: ptrk1221

ptrk1221

Registered Member
Jan 5, 2019
Awesome that is all good info for me to know. I have had the angelfish and gourami for about 2 years I consider them the OG of my fish tank and they never have any issues with each other. I have had corys in the past and they tend to be hit or miss with me as well but I have some sinking pellets and food items for the bottom feeders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store