Stocking, planting and dreaming new 55g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ParisWill

AC Members
Oct 11, 2020
Hello ??

mas the title says I’m getting ready to setup my a new aquarium to replace a current 20g. It’s probably 4 months away as I need to move apartment first.

Stocking ideas (when the tank is fully matured)
18 neons
3 honey Gourami
1 bristlenose pleco
8 khuli Loach
3 apisto borelli
10 rummy nose tetra

filtration will be an Oase 350 thermo + a backup small fluval 207 (mainly to avoid dead spots)

Going to aquascape for heavy planted and a number of little caves + wood.

what do you reckon? :D

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I see a lot of low tank level fish...Do you have a lot of hiding/ breeding areas for the cichlids, pangios & BN plec? You should before getting all of those fish...I know you said you "will". Do you yet?

I haven't kept honey gouramis, or borelli, it "seems" ok...do you have a back-up plan if all heck breaks loose?

With your fish choices, I might go with cardinal tetras depending on all your preferred fish. A few degrees isn't often a great big deal but can be in the overall health of your tank & fish. Nobody likes to be either too hot or too cool... Do a temp search look to be sure...Neons & rummies are mid-low level fish...

Reactions: ParisWill

ParisWill

AC Members
Oct 11, 2020
Don’t have any of it yet.

Not even the fish ;) but yea the plan is to make 4 or 5 specific caves around the tank, on top of that put lots of wood, rocks and heavily plant it.

I might reduce the khuli fish by 3 and the rummy nose by 3 too.

Perhaps add 2 siamese algae eaters or 2 black mollies

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Do not handle less than 10 rummy nose, I'm not sure if your tetras will feel comfortable with the pearl gouramis you plan to add, but I also don't know of anyone who has had problems.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would be nervous about mixing gourami species, even peaceful 1s might have "issues" sharing territory with such a size difference too. Just get a pair of 1 kind. You can always add another female later.

6-8 is a minimum for kuhlis, maybe just a pair of apistos instead of a trio for now. How about 10-12 of each tetra species?

Lets talk easy plants later...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store