stocking with goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TRagusa113

Registered Member
Mar 10, 2013
I know goldfish need space and a colder temp then most popular fish. I have a 14 Gal biocube, I was planning on only one goldfish but is there anything else that I can get that will be perfect in the cooler waters and keep the goldfish company.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
You would be better off with some white clouds and red cherry shrimp. Goldfish are big, active and messy. I can't imagine they would really thrive in a 14 gal. At least not for long.

If you are willing to heat the tank, a betta would do well. You could also have a colorful tank of male guppies.

wren

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
One goldfish is really pushing it for a 14g tank. I wouldn't recommend anything else with it. If you decide not to have a goldfish, then white cloud mountain minnows are a nice cool water fish as mentioned. They also come in a beautiful golden strain.

Emily

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
There are many interesting and beautiful fish native to the US that can be kept in unheated tanks as small as yours. For Pygmy Sunfish a 14g is a big tank, but they should be kept as the only fish in a tank. You could have 25 or 30 adults at any given time in a tank that size, (although likely only 2 or 3 males would claim territories and color up all black and electric blue) along with plenty of babies. I challenge anyone to show me a fish with more personality than a Swamp Darter, and you could keep several in that tank, along with other fish. Depending on where you live you could have true aquatic gems right below the surface. There are also a couple of excellent commercial suppliers of native fish, and lots of nice stuff comes up for sale on AB.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store