Store or Get Rid of Substrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cat887

AC Members
Jan 8, 2017
Almost a year ago now, I got a 10 gallon tank. More recently, I upgraded the tank to a 20H, to hopefully be able to have a slight bit more variety. I've already got the new tank cycling, and am working on introducing some of my guppies to the tank.

What I'm wondering is whether or not I should dry out and store the substrate from the 10 Gallon tank I've been running. I have about two inches of substrate in my 20H right now. I would rather not add the older substrate to the tank, as it will seriously cloud up the water for a few days (the older substrate is super fine sand, the newer is less fine). I would also be perfectly fine tossing out the old substrate, as I can't see myself using the 10 gallon anytime soon (once I've completely moved everything over).

The most use that tank will get is being a quarantine tank for any new fishes - or if I have to take apart the 20H to move the fish to a new location (which hopefully won't happen for another two years, when I'm done with college). I do not have the space available to leave the 10 Gallon up and running, even though I am going to be living at home the next couple of years.

So, in essence: I have about 2 inches of super fine sand in a 10 Gallon tank, which likely won't be used much over the next few years except as a quarantine tank, and am wondering whether or not I should store or get rid of the sand.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Sand, IMO, is cheap. Dump it.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep. If it's a cheap substrate like sand or common gravel, toss it. It's much easier to get now than it is to properly clean, dry and store old substrate.

Reactions: TBear
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store