Suggestion for 40 gallon tank (looking for interesting center-piece fish)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I have a 40 gallon tank with 2 swords, 3 medium cardinal 5 small cardinal 6 kuhli loach 1 upside down cat fish (love this critter) and a very small bristol nose pleco.
-
Originally i was going to add 2 dwarf flaming gourami but local shop doesn't have them.
-
I do have a small problem - the swords have become an issue - they ate one of the small cardinals and are generally bullies (we believe they killed the panda cory). I'm tempted to flush them but looking for something else as a center piece fish - normally i would go with a pair of angels but the tank is a wee bit small I think for them. I want something in the 2 inch purchased that will grow to 4 inches but are less aggressive than the swords and add a bit of colour.
-
Not sure why this pair of swords have turned into real bullies but a bit unhappy with them - esp after they ate the tetra - though killing the panda was pretty bad. Also the female sword seems to be the more hostile of the pair.
-
Some more details - the tank is 1 month old. The initial population was upside down cat; 3 swords (1 died) and 2 kuhli. After a couple of weeks late I added the additional kuhli panda cory and pleco. Today I added the cardinals (of which the swrods quickly ate 1 and i've put the other 5 in a fry net to see if they will get a bit larger before releasing - though I might just flush the female sword and be done with it).
-
I have 3 amazon sword plants - 2 of them are a month old the other 1 week old - the two older ones have started putting out new leaves with one of them doing extremely well and the other almost died but now seems to have recovered (3 new leaves this week). I had some horn worth but it mostly died.

Last edited:

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Some additional information (Can't edit above message due to time limit while composing):
-
the tank is 1 month old. The initial population was upside down cat; 3 swords (1 died) and 2 kuhli. After a couple of weeks late I added the additional kuhli panda cory and pleco. Today I added the cardinals (of which the swrods quickly ate 1 and i've put the other 5 in a fry net to see if they will get a bit larger before releasing - though I might just flush the female sword and be done with it).
-
I have 3 amazon sword plants - 2 of them are a month old the other 1 week old - the two older ones have started putting out new leaves with one of them doing extremely well and the other almost died but now seems to have recovered (3 new leaves this week). I had some horn worth but it mostly died. I wanted anacharis but that is not allowed where i currently live.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store