Suitable water condition for Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msubhan

AC Members
Feb 6, 2019
Have been using purified water (drinking water) for aquarium. There is well water in home , the main problem is salty. It is PH values is 7.4 , but did not test Nitrate.

What are the tests should qualify and make it suitable for aquarium? Do i need to follow any treatment of water? Please clarify.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Where are you located? You may be able to take a sample of your well water to your local health department and have them perform a test, the other option is to contact a water testing company. You may be charged a fee for either option.

msubhan

AC Members
Feb 6, 2019
Where are you located? You may be able to take a sample of your well water to your local health department and have them perform a test, the other option is to contact a water testing company. You may be charged a fee for either option.
[/QUOT

Located in South India, one correction is I mean salty is salt deposit can be seen in vessel and in containers.

Please let me know the tests to be performed?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I don't know if the average person can know what is in their well water without having it tested by a professional to find what is causing salty water.

A quick online search shows that South India does have a problem with well water quality so I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sometimes it's mineral deposits, rather the "salt" deposits. I have very soft water but still get some mineral deposits. The are tests for GH, KH (& salt) for hobbyists. Many of us here on AC are in the US or at least North America.

You could look at keeping fish like many livebearers. Mollies are kept in anything from full saltwater to "hard" freshwater. It's often easier to go with the water easily available than have to constantly test & readjust. You may also use a mix of tap water & "drinking water", whatever those are for you. Distilled or RO water don't contain any minerals that fish need. You may also have seasonal water that can change (rainy season & dry). Do you have a fish club nearby? They can help too, or even an Indian online forum.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
One option will be to look into an RO filtration system. They can be a little pricey, but it will remove the contaminants and then you can add the appropriate minerals to create stable water. Straight RO is not recommended because it has no KH, which means it will not support biological functions nor stay at a stable pH.

Reactions: fishorama
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store