Sunlight’s other tank journal (20g version)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Hello!! So, I’ve only had a single 10g for a few years, and I was recently able to get another tank through my family. It was given to me after it was quite abused, so I’m very glad to get it fixed up and give a little love to these fishies. Here’s where we are at as of right now!
3B6BE10E-E87B-481D-A6DA-CFDB84C11D14.jpeg

this is how it was given to me after I cleaned it up a little. 5 zebra danios, 2 male guppies, and a giant Amazon sword. Then I got some plants from Facebook marketplace and gathered some of my old wood, and got it to this:

F3B7D122-5913-4BEF-98B2-D805453F68DC.jpeg
I loooove this tank and all of the little fishies. They’re precious!! I’d love to add some more fish though. Any suggestions? A school of ottos maybe? Or possibly some khuli loaches of some sort? Maybe a feature fish? Let me know what y’all think. :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm a huge fan of single species tanks.

Otos or Khulieswouod be incredible. As would pygmy or hastatus cories, maybe Aspidoras.

I also prefer heavily planted, with lots of smaller leaves. But go with your tastes, you are gonna be looking at it for some time to come.

Reactions: dudley and Sunlight

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Looking at your other tank, that's the sort of vegetation I look for.. plenty of cover for the fish, but plenty of space to swim and lo large leaves in the way.

Reactions: Sunlight

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
I'm a huge fan of single species tanks.

Otos or Khulieswouod be incredible. As would pygmy or hastatus cories, maybe Aspidoras.

I also prefer heavily planted, with lots of smaller leaves. But go with your tastes, you are gonna be looking at it for some time to come.
I also personally like the exact same things, but that’s more how my 10g is, so I was going to expand my taste a little with this one. Haha! I also think Pygmy cories would look fantastic in this tank, if I could get my hands on them. The only issue with adding any sort of stock is that they would have to work with the 5 danios and 2 guppies that are already in there. If this were your tank, what would you personally add to it stocking-wise?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would just replace the sword, it will get to get too big, if you leave it too long the roots will take over the substrate and make it a pain to remove in the future; it looks like a plain amazon sword, and I wouldn't put one on any less space than a 2 foot cube. I had one in a plain 90g tank and it took more than half of it and shadowed other plants. Use crypts, or if you can find them one of the echinodorus Aflame species would be a good one to try... Purple knight for example.

Stock wide really depends on your water,but personally if your water and heat is appropriate, I'd try an easy cherry shrimp like a cherry and see how they breed.

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Agreed about the sword. The only thing is that it was already in there, and I don’t just want to throw out such a huge sword, so I’ll have to find someone who can take it. I like the shrimp idea, but I think my filter would probably suck up babies. I think I’m just going to go to the store and see if anything catches my eye, provided that it would work with current parameters/stocking :) I’ll update as I go

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Ooh! I just thought of this... the sword is pretty hardy, I wonder if it would work out in my 50g bath tub pond I have outside.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It would probably outgrow that too.. but it would work assuming temperature and light is good

You can also convert it to emerged growth, and keep it in soil like a houseplant

And put foam over your filter intake, it will stop shrimp getting sucked up,and house microfauna for them to eat also

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I've once kept a sword in a 20 gallon, but it was about the only plant, in the center, and required weekly pruning. It looked good though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store