swimming upside down and in circles

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joeyarchibald

AC Members
Oct 10, 2005
Hey all!
This morning when I got up my irian red rainbowfish was only able to swim upside down and around in circles. It is really disturbing to watch and I've never seen anything like this (30 gallon rainbowfish tank for 3 years). I had been noticing this fish was getting thin looking compared to the other irian red.
I know you guys are gonna kill me but I don't really do regular water testing. I did for along time but everything was always normal so I kinda tapered off. The rest of the fish are fine and so are the plants. I do 25% water changes every 2 weeks.
Is this something that is communicable and what should I do with the fish?
Thanks!

dwarfgourami7

Steve the angelfish
Nov 13, 2006
England! uk
Firstly 25% evey 2 weeks could be better. 25% a week is better and could help your fish. Secondly you should test your water. Haven't got a test kit? BUY ONE! if the results are not good that would be a reasonable explination for his rapid decline in health. Check if he was/is eating fine and is not picked on by the other rainbow fish. Check if it has any illness's as some are easy to diagnose.

joeyarchibald

AC Members
Oct 10, 2005
yeah yeah I knew I was gonna get flak! Well you are right I guess I just got into a routine since I've had these fish for so long and everything was going great. I do watch the fish a lot and haven't noticed him getting picked on or anything. It just seemed like the other irian red just keeps getting bigger and he didn't. There is nothing unusual about the sick fish (appearance wise) other than he is skinnier than his buddy.
He is dying now.....barely moving. I guess I will just let him die naturally in the tank.

weincsatyoi

AC Members
Jan 4, 2007
Its an intestinal disease. the othe fish cannot catch it but your fish may not live. They usually die with this disease.

weincsatyoi

AC Members
Jan 4, 2007
dont know the exact name but The store owner told me it a intestinal disease. I had a sailfin molly to do the same thing. He died though. I was told there wasnt anything I could do. But at least it doenst spread to the other fish.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the Sx you posted could point to any number of issues.
the 25% water change every two weeks tends to point to water quality related isssues.
when the water quality is down..the fish get stressed. the stress opens up any number of possible avenues for issues to include bacterial infections(internal/external) parasites etc. while I wouldn't rule out intestinal disease I would also not rule out bacterial infections which could cause intestinal dis orders and even swim bladder issues.(if the fish is swimming upside down there is a good chance the bladder is affected)

the fact that this fish is skinny and not growing also points to infections and or parasites.

usualy when the fish is this far gone..there is a good chance it wil not pull through.

I would highly suggest you up the water changes and test for nitrates. if above 20-40 you need to sowly lower that down thru water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store