Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Switching the External Filter off everyday - wrong ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by nagukush, Oct 13, 2008.

1. nagukush

nagukush AC Members

Apr 19, 2012
    Hi Friends !

Just wanted to know if its ok to switch off my Eheim 2217 External filter everyday for about 15 to 20 mins ? Actually I switch it off while feeding because my fronts seem more comfortable eating without a water current...

Just wanted to know if its wrong ? Will it kill the bacteria or 20 mins is fine ?

Kindly advice and guide me...
    Thanks !
    Kush

2. grannylvsfish

grannylvsfish have you been bad this year ??

Mar 1, 2010
    I see no problem, but can you not direct the water flow away to lessen the current? shutting it off for a short amount of time is not going to harm anything I believe, folks what do you think?

3. DrNo

DrNo Overworked Member...

Jun 3, 2010
    No problem at all from what I'm reading .... just don't forget to turn it back on :D

4. nagukush

nagukush AC Members

Apr 19, 2012
    Thanks for the help and advice, friends !

5. Cory Keeper

Cory Keeper LED Guru of Aquaria Central

Sep 10, 2011
    If it was me, I'd keep it running for fear of forgetting to turn it back on, I'm forgetful like that.

6. Weezer

Weezer Plastic Plant's Live Longer

Mar 25, 2011
    Some people do turn off there filters when feeding. like posted, just don't forget to turn them back on.............:)

7. grannylvsfish

grannylvsfish have you been bad this year ??

Mar 1, 2010
    I forgot once ,,,,,, thank goodness I run two filters :lol: but yep I forgot over night. duh !! LOL!!

8. Mgamer20o0

Mgamer20o0 BobsTropicalPlants.com
    Staff Member

Jan 6, 2017
    it should be fine dont forget. number one rule dont forget. socalidiscus found a timer like the ones where you turn the lights on for 15-30 mins at a time this one does a reverse. it turns it off and then turns it back on. i think i got that user name right lol might want to search and pm him and ask.

9. bghill

bghill AC Members

Jan 14, 2013
    I turn all my filters off during feeding. I just leave the canopy or lid open till I turn filters back on.

10. 1oooop

1oooop int x; if {x>1} {std::cout

Brandon
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brandon
    well, I am in possession of may circuits... there is an automatic one that turns it back on after a little while http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/relaytim.asp is a good one, just get a huge capacitor (500 uf) for c1 and reverse the relay(in other words have it setup to turn it off when the schematic says it is on)