Switching to canister filter...what to do about bio filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eviebella

AC Members
Jul 11, 2016
South Carolina
I am switching to a canister filter for my 55 gallon tank after the motor failed for the second time in my Aquatech 30-60 filter that hangs over the side of the tank. Do I need to somehow incorporate the biological filtration pads (the ones you don't replace) into the new filter? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What kind of canister filter are you getting?

Eviebella

AC Members
Jul 11, 2016
South Carolina
It is a Fluval 306. It has 3 different stacked filter chambers for the included carbon sachet, bio filter ceramic pellets and black egg crate type foam. My initial thought was to run both together for a while but the old filter isn't going to work anymore.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
you could cut up the pads of the HOB and put them in one of the chambers if you think the BB there is still viable.

Reactions: Eviebella

Eviebella

AC Members
Jul 11, 2016
South Carolina
you could cut up the pads of the HOB and put them in one of the chambers if you think the BB there is still viable.
Thank you! That's what I decided to do so I'm glad to hear that was the right thing. The filters were switched out the same day the old one stopped (last night). I'm keeping an eye on my water test results so I hope it will be fine.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you haven't changed water recently, and the filter pads (mechanical) were not switched recently, then you can likely squeeze any muck or residue from them into the tank or new filter to kickstart the cycle... there should be enough in the tank already in all likelihood.

Just do as much as you can/want to, and remember that testing your water correctly, and mor frequently for a while, will tell you that you are successful.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Smart going! Monitor and do water changes as necessary based on readings from a good liquid test kit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store